The Royal Oak, Millbrook Review

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Veronica123's review of The Royal Oak, Millbrook

“It has become one of the places that I dine at the...”

Written on: 28/12/2006 by Veronica123 (1 review written)

All the food is cooked from fresh ingredients.
Relaxing atmosphere.
You never feel rushed.

Being as it is a pub restaurant, your wine isn't poured for you - it is simply brought to your table.

General Comments
It has become one of the places that I dine at the most. I tried it just after it opened, and I really enjoyed the food and relaxed atmosphere. I also liked the fact that it is non-smoking, as I am a non-smoker myself, though I didn't realise just how much effect that had on me until I was in other restaurants and found myself getting annoyed if someone smoked near me. I hadn't realised before just how much a smokey environment affects the taste of your food.

Obviously, if you are a smoker, The Royal Oak in Millbrook might not be the place for you, as you do have to go outside to have a cigarette. But to be honest, the fresh cooked food is so nice that you probably won't mind.

I have now tried loads on the menu, and I haven't yet found something that I don't like. Also, the a la carte menu changes every 4 weeks, so there is always something new to look forward to.

I think my favorite dish is the chicken breast with mushroom and leek sauce. Though I always ask for chips instead of potatoes, as the chips are yum. The added bonus with this dish is that it is on the mid-week special list, so my mum and I have been a few times to have the 3 courses and a small glass of house wine, at a cost of £25.95 per couple, which is a bargain!

Highly recommended!! I eat out a lot, and to be honest, this is one of the best. I find myself comparing everywhere I go to The Royal Oak, and although it may not be everybody's cup of tea, it is definitely mine.

• Gastro

Food Type

• Under £5

Average cost per head

• Once a month

How often do you eat here?

• Family-oriented