British Gas Review

nellesiddor's review of British Gas

“I pay my gas by monthly direct debit and received my...”

Written on: 08/12/2006 by nellesiddor (1 review written)

I have been with British Gas a long time without any problems with supply etc.

Be aware of British Gas problem with computers reading credit figures as arrears.

General Comments
I pay my gas by monthly direct debit and received my latest bill showing that I was £160 in credit. However, in the small writing at the bottom of the bill, I was advised that my monthly payments were to be increased to £112.00 per month!!! When I called them, I was advised that the computer could not read credits and had assumed I was in arrears and adjusted my future payments accordingly. This was rectified on the phone, and I received a cheque for the credit amount. I have spoken to a couple of people who this has also happened to - so how many people out there are also unaware of this situation and are paying more than necessary to British Gas?

Blondetotty's Response to nellesiddor's Review

Written on: 16/01/2007

British Gas always seems to have a problem with their computer system. If they can't do anything, or something goes wrong - blame it on the computer seems to be their answer.

Written on: 30/01/2007

You are so right Angryshopper...I to have paperless bills online...I have great difficulty bringing them up when the E-mail arrives.
<br/>I send an E-mail to House complaining about it, and hardly ever get a reply until a month later, and that usually happens when I have telephoned the Accounts Department.

Written on: 30/01/2007

Margret Thatcher is at fault for shutting down all Gas and Electricity showrooms around the country!
<br/>
<br/>Had they still been open, we wouldn't have to hang on the end of telephones waiting to sort out any Service or Account problems.
<br/>
<br/>If you wanted to buy an appliance, you went into the showrooms, looked around and got a human being to give you advice on cookers or fires, and you could always discuss an account problem with them too. The showroom near where I used to live in London were always most helpful, and they knew what they were talking about too.
<br/>
<br/>It's about time they bought Gas and Electric Showrooms back to the High Street!? Lobby your MP's now I say.

Angryshopper's Response to nellesiddor's Review

Written on: 29/01/2007

You're so right. I paid my last bill through the British Gas website on the 16th of January 2007. Today (29th January 2007), I got a bill from British Gas for the full amount. Only after a protracted period of telephone tennis did I manage to speak to a BG staff member, who informed me that "the bill must have crossed in the post". I'd suggest that BG have appallingly poor billing systems when they send out duplicate bills. To cap it all, I was then informed that as I'd signed up for paperless billing, I should never have got the bill in the first place. Go figure!

Written on: 29/01/2007

It's not their computers...it's the operator that uses it.