Louis Sachar, Holes Review

skywings's review of Louis Sachar, Holes

“I found Holes a good read. It has a bit of everything....”

Written on: 30/11/2006 by skywings (7 reviews written)

Doesn't talk down to children
Descriptive without being verbose
The heroes are outcasts

Cheesy and abrupt ending
Some stereotypes

General Comments
I found Holes a good read. It has a bit of everything. It's about friendship, achievement, promises, pack social behavior, racism, coincidence, fate, love and justice. Some people learn and grow, others don't. Some have good, just endings, others have unfortunate, just endings. It's satisfying, yet has an element of sadness to it.

The language is simple, yet descriptive; almost in a Rowling kind of way. But unlike Rowling, I found myself wanting richer language, fuller descriptions. Louis Sachar pushes on with the story, to the next scene, to the end, when I want each scene to last a bit longer, when I want to lose myself a little more.

Holes offers real characters in our heroes; people who are flawed and ridiculed by others, and real life situations, including crime, punishment, racism and violence. However, the book unfortunately stoops to typical children's book fashion of making the grown ups stereotyped and more stupid than the children.

Still, it was a decent read for a grown up like me (in my twenties), and will probably be quite good for the tweens.