Indic8tor Review

Indic8tor
3.3
  • How effective is the device?

telsreviews's review of Indic8tor

“I paid £29 for the additional 12 months subscription...”

written by telsreviews on 06/10/2006

Small, good design, loud clear alerts, well made. Supposed to alert of mobile speed trap areas, as well as most other fixed and mobile cameras. One of the best features, I think, is the over-speed voice alert, if you're exceeding the speed limit for the camera you're approaching.

Camera accuracy level poor. Missed several cameras and a couple of false alerts.

General Comments
I paid £29 for the additional 12 months subscription (over the three months free - which you only get if you pay to subscribe) for the most up-to-date camera database downloads and I updated the Indic8tor unit straight away.

In the following three days travelling, it missed 3 fixed cameras, made 2 false red light camera alerts, 3-4 random alerts that binged on and off again, and missed 3 specs zones (two on A1, one on M1). I was so disappointed. The false alerts are worrying and distracting because I was desperately looking around for the source of the alert, which wasn't there. I was also unsure whether I trusted the alerts for cameras in the overhead gantrys on the M25, more because I wasn't convinced that it wasn't missing any. Also there was no countdown alert in distance to the camera, only a voice alert warning of 'variable speed camera'.

If I'd calculated the number of cameras on my journeys I would estimate the accuracy of the unit could easily have been as low as 60%, which definitely isn't good enough. When I phoned to complain and ask to return the unit I was advised that I could add the missing cameras with the user memo function, but that defeats the object of the unit and it's highly unlikely that I'll use the same route again.

I like the idea of the unit in principle and I can understand that cameras can move and disappear as quickly as they appear but ultimately the unit needs to be much more accurate because instead of making me feel more assured on my journey, it made me feel more anxious. I don't speed everywhere and purchased the unit really for unfamiliar areas to avoid being caught out. I don't think I'll bother trying to replace it with another device.

• How effective is the device?

275837_Martinez31's Response to telsreviews's Review

Written on: 25/01/2007

Best bet is the Talex GPS. My family have all purchased one as we were all so impressed with it, and it has never missed either a fixed camera site or mobile camera site.