The Twisted Oak, Exeter Review

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Helen of Troy's review of The Twisted Oak, Exeter

“We visited The Twisted Oak on a Saturday night, it did...”

Written on: 23/09/2006 by Helen of Troy (188 reviews written)

As a pub, quite nice.

As a restaurant, a big no no.

General Comments
We visited The Twisted Oak on a Saturday night, it did not seem overly busy for a pub restaurant, plenty of seating available. There are two separate bars, a restaurant area and a beer garden with children's play equipment. We wanted a meal, although we had not booked, the restaurant area or bar did not look particularly busy. You have to go to a booth area to order, which I did. There was no queue, in fact no-one else there at all! I was told they could not take my order at that moment, they were busy, and to come back in about half an hour. We waited, had a drink, and I went back to try ordering our steaks. I was told they still could not take my order and that they would come let us know when they could. We waited and and waited. No-one came. By this time my husband was getting a little annoyed, had we known we would have to wait this long before they could even take our order, we would have gone elsewhere, but they originally told us half an hour. By this time it was too late to try anywhere else and we were hungry! My husband went up this time, and suddenly, YES! They could take the order!! The waitress came over to where we had been sitting and wrote our order down.

We arrived here at 7pm. By the time we were finally eating our meal it was gone 9pm. The sad part about it was for the price and the wait, we were expecting our meal to be sensational. It was very very ordinary. It was OK. Nothing more. Needless to say that was our first and last visit to eat there. If we ever return for a drink there, we will make certain we eat elsewhere first!

• British

Food Type

• Under £5

Average cost per head

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Suits all