Minelab Quattro MP Review

RBlack's review of Minelab Quattro MP

“I have owned my Minelab Quattro MP metal detector...”

Written on: 29/04/2006 by RBlack (1 review written)

It finds coins.

It finds everything else too.

General Comments
I have owned my Minelab Quattro MP metal detector since October 2005. Since that time, I have been to the beach twice with it, and I have searched old home sites dating back to the 1920's, a vacant lot where an old church once stood, and I have searched several parks. The detector will definitely sing to you. Unfortunately, the two beach trips (full days each) resulted in approx $2 in coins and a bunch of trash. Searching the old home sites produced one modern quarter. The old church site? Nothing but trash. The parks produced approx $1 in coins, including one wheatie (and trash, trash, trash).

I'm not saying that the Quattro fails to find things. Just the opposite is true. This detector finds EVERYTHING. The problem is in the readings. Examples:

1) A modern U.S. quarter gives a 38 reading, as do some types of cans and other trash.

2) Pennies give 32-35 reading, but so do a million other things, including soda/beer cans.

3) A nickel gives a 15 reading, but so do various other trash items.

If you cancel out these codes, you also cancel out the coins. Some say that you should go by the tone and not go by the pictures or the numbers. If this is true, then why are they even there? As reference only? I have dug far too many holes on false "references" provided by this detector.

All of this negative review aside, I still give this detector "middle-of-the-road" 5's, though I would not recommend it to a friend, or anyone else for that matter (at this time). The VERY GENEROUS 5's are only given due to the likelihood that this detector is probably not being used to its full potential by me (though, believe me, I have TRIED to learn it). Maybe in another couple of years I will have finally learned how to use this detector successfully, at which time my review scores will increase, I will recommend it to friends, and will not feel as cheated in the purchase of this item as I do at this time.

Mijimijim's Response to RBlack's Review

Written on: 19/09/2012

It's the trick to recognize the tone in combination with the number. In that way you can, with a little practice, determinate what the object most likely is. Good luck, metaldetecting isn't just swinging a stick over the ground!