BTS GY200 198cc Review

• Build quality

• Reliability

mad bike's review of BTS GY200 198cc

“After passing my test, I bought a BTS GY200 Panther on...”

Written on: 06/02/2006 by mad bike (2 reviews written)

Value for money, Extra's, looks

No centre stand.

General Comments
After passing my test, I bought a BTS GY200 Panther on Ebay, to replace my Chituma/hongdou CTM125C.

The bike is from the Chituma/Hongdou stable and if I get the same servicable use as I did with my 125 I couldn't go wrong.

It is branded Bts (British Trackstar) who import them from China.

It is set up as an Enduro, being supplied with lights, indicators etc.

To start the description, it is mainly black in colour, with red decals on the body panels, the only chrome effect visable are the wheel rims & spokes. Even the engine is black, which adds to it's looks.

The bike is quite tall, due to the high ground clearence, which can be a bit awkward when trying to get on, if like me have a short inside leg and have thermal lined trousers, 1 size too small. It is probably more suited to a tall rider.

The seating/riding position is very good and gives a confident feel about the bike. The ride it's self is smooth and the handling is postive. The switch gear is place in the standard, but comfortable layout.

The 198 cc 4 stroke engine is very responsive and has very good low down torque, but it revs quite high as the speed increases.

I have fitted an aftermarket sproket, supplied by BTS and this has increased to top speed and reduced the engine revs to achieve it, with hardly any adverse effect on acceleration.

I haven't really pushed it yet as I am still running it in, but it is reported to do in excess of 80 mph. Which in my opinion will not be far off the mark.

Fuel economy seems quite decent at (in my estimation) 70-75 mpg, but be prepared form regular visits to the petrol station as it only has a 9 litre tank. It may improve now the engine revs are lower.

The braking system is disc to front, drums to rear. More than adequate stopping power. Although the latest models have discs front & rear

The switch gear seems to be more robust than the 125 I owned and it also has an emergency cut out switch fitted.

Starting is by electric start with kick start back up. It does take a while starting from cold with the electric start, that could be due to engine drag (tight). Kicks starts no problem. Hot starts are no problem.

The bike I bought is a special edition panther. I am not sure if the extra's are exclusive to BTS but they are:

Bright twin headlights in a smart looking cowel.

Remote alarm/immobilisor

Remote starting

It also comes wit a luggage rack fittes as standard, which can save a few quid, if like me prefer a top box fitted.

This bike cost me £800, fully built, registered, taxed & delivered to my door. basically all I had to do was put petrol in and start it.

If thats not good value for money, I don't know what is. Plus the supplier carrys a good stock of spares.

It's a real head turner, even if its only because they don't really know what it is. (still makes you feel good) and adds to living with the bike.

I'm well chuffed with mine and I will get another when I'm finished with this one.

257421_Motormad's Response to mad bike's Review

Written on: 29/08/2006

I have just bought a GY200 from BTS 3 months ago, It came on an 06 plate - I've done 700 miles on it now - half off road and it's faultless. I am over the moon with mine as I was frightened about parting with £800 on a new bike when the next best thing cost £2000 to £2500, but it is unbelievable. I just found out that there is a 250 version coming and I'm going to get one.

Gordo2K6's Response to mad bike's Review

Written on: 10/03/2010

WHERE DO YOU GET SPARE PARTS FOR THIS BIKE. i.E THROTTLE CABLE, ENGINE COVER?

Peterchas's Response to mad bike's Review

Written on: 12/12/2008

I have just bought a GY200 badged as a Zong Shen - great machine so far and your review seems pretty accurate, only prob ine got is my clock is in kpm and mph but odometers (permanent and trip) are in km only.