Hitachi Deskstar 160GB ATA 133 8MB Review

• Ease of Set Up

kiyawhite's review of Hitachi Deskstar 160GB ATA 133 8MB

“The Hitachi Deskstar 26140 (160GB) hard drive has been...”

Written on: 17/01/2006 by kiyawhite (56 reviews written)

Very quiet.
7200rpm spindle speed.
Reliable.
5.3" disks.
Serial or parallel.
Very fast seek speed.
Definitely not prone to overheating!!!*

Is a tight fit for most standard PC cases. For older PC's especially, a new drive space my be required.

General Comments
The Hitachi Deskstar 26140 (160GB) hard drive has been an overall huge improvement from my previous hard drive - that was a Samsung SV120h or something (it's so bad in comparison that I can't even remember it's name).

I can't believe I rated that hard drive so highly, really; how I rated it is all wrong - compared to the performance I get from this hard drive.

*The biggest difference between this hard drive and my previous hard drive is the temperature. Sure, I now also have a hard drive cooler for my new hard drive, but I don't think a simple cooler is going to make up for the difference between 23c and 230c!*

The seek time is also a lot better. The hard drive is now up-to-date with recommended specifications. It has a 7200rpm spindle speed, which is what most good and new computers come installed with. However, it does go higher than hard drives ready-installed in how it uses digital, dual signing.

Its standard specifications also include PATA, an IDE interface, BUT is an Ultra ATA130, which is an improvement from my previous ATA100!

The hard drive is very reliable, and I have no regrets on the money I spent to buy it!

I know I have owned it for less than a week, but I can tell by how it is performing now, that it is not going to have half the problems my other hard drive did; even in future years to come!

• Ease of Set Up

• Less than a Week

Time Hard Drive Owned

Bertie's Response to kiyawhite's Review

Written on: 19/01/2006

'.....(it's so bad in comparison that I can't even remember it's name)'.
<br>
<br>kiyawhite....my Big Book of Obscenities may help you remember!
<br>You certainly know your hard drives. I don't think I'd recognise one if I fell over it.

Bertie's Response to kiyawhite's Review

Written on: 27/01/2006

Many thanks for that most interesting link kiyawhite.
<br>I found the following via Digg, so both sites are giving me more information than I can cope with!
<br>http://news.com.com/2300-1010_3-6031405-1.html?part=rss&tag=6031405&subj=news

Kiyawhite's Response to kiyawhite's Review

Written on: 20/01/2006

Also known, by Hitachi themself, as the Deskstar 7K250. Go to http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.fdd9dbceef73222d92b86b31bac4f0a0 for more.