Fiat Punto GT Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Big Vern's review of Fiat Punto GT

“I bought my Fiat Punto GT1 nearly two years ago, it is...”

Written on: 11/08/2005 by Big Vern (1 review written)

Fast, stylish, comfortable, well equipped, practical, reliable and underestimated by many.

Expensive to run and insure, hard to find spare parts for, and poor handling as standard.

General Comments
I bought my Fiat Punto GT1 nearly two years ago, it is an M-reg and came with 112,000 miles on the clock. Fortunately, it also came with a full Fiat service history, and had been stripped and rebuilt by a good garage.

I've owned two Fiats in the past, both of which were Tipos, the first being a 1.4 petrol, and the second a 1.9 TD. The GT was a dream for many years, and in late 2003 it became a reality. Needless to say it trounces both of my Tipos when it comes to performance, looks, and street cred, but like every Fiat - even 1 litres, it has that unique Italian charm.

It has surprised me with how reliable it has been. It's life with me hasn't been easy, yet with a good diet of unleaded and GTX, it has yet to let me down. The electrics work on a part-time basis, but when you own a GT you really don't care! Where else can you find a car of equal age, size, price, and performance, that comes as standard with electric windows, mirrors and sunroof, remote central locking and A.B.S. brakes?

Overall this car is fantastic. Although it can be a little moody first thing on a winter morning, and a bit expensive to run, it really is worth it. This car has character, spirit, and although my ex-girlfriend disagreed, it has feelings too.

You can show up real adults in 30k V6 saloon cars with a GT. The handling is suspect to say the least, but a good set of springs and dampers will change things, and certainly be worth the investment.

Buy one.