Orlando Sanford Airport Review

• Customer service

• Overall cleanliness

JC Trav's review of Orlando Sanford Airport

☆☆☆☆☆

“We flew into Orlando Sanford July 21 and out on August...”

Written on: 08/08/2005 by JC Trav (1 review written)

We flew into Orlando Sanford July 21 and out on August 4. As in the previous review we were kept waiting on the tarmac on arrival because they don't seem to be able to cope with more than one aircraft at once!

Again a very long wait to clear US customs with no air conditioning and another long wait for the baggage. On departure we had luckily taken advantage of a 'free time' check-in service offered by Travel City Direct, but other passengers waited for three hours to check in. There was a long queue to pass through security, they even X-rayed our shoes and I was pulled out for a body check even though I hadn't set off the alarm, this was done in full view of everyone - a very humiliating experience.

I have no problem with random checks but think they should happen behind screens. The departure lounge was totally inadequate, there wasn't enough seating and the food, drinks, papers etc were way over priced. Again the staff only seemed to be able to cope with boarding one plane at a time resulting in a backlog and delays. To top it all, when we were 15 minutes from departure and all seated on the plane,

US Customs decided they wanted to screen every piece of baggage again! This resulted in a 2 and a half wait seated on the plane while they did this. Overall I think Sanford is inadequate for the flights it receives and hasn't enough staff to cope with the numbers. I also found many of the staff rude and unhelpful, they treated us with contempt and we got the impression they thought we were all likely bombers!

So much for the British and American 'special relationship'. We have travelled to the US four times in the last ten years. This will be the last.

• July/Aug 2005

Date of use (month/year)

Transport links

Range of shops

Eating facilities

• Overall cleanliness

Barbhos1950's Response to JC Trav's Review

Written on: 26/09/2013

I totally agree with you, i flew home to Gatwick from Sanford yesterday and got home this morning. I am still feeling humiliated at the treatment i received, i am a 62 year old woman and was pulled out for a body check then they wiped my palms of my hands and said they had a false negative for a explosive substance on my hands. They pulled out the contents of my bag and wiped inside which showed nothing, i asked if i could go and was told i had to go into a private room for a body search. By this time my son who has mental health problems was getting stressed, and i was feeling very embarrassed with everyone watching. After having my body felt all over with another woman watching i asked if i could go now , but was told no. They needed my passport to take details from it so they can check up on me.
I think the reason they did this was because they were tipped off by the customs man who i had words with when i arrived 2 weeks before, i remembered this man from previous holidays to Orlando he never seemed happy or smiled. He told me off because i had 600 cigs i bought at Gatwick , they told me it was ok as we were a party of 3 people 200 each our friend was in another queue, he told me not to tell him his job and got quite agitated, this was not a good start to our holiday.. I noticed on the white customs form we filled in he had drawn 2 rings in red ink with a line joining the 2 circles on the form, i asked the woman who collected the forms what the rings meant and was told not to worry about it, was this a message to tell the security to stop me when i arrived to get my flight home? does anyone know what it means.
I have been to Orlando 28 times on holiday 26 of them with my husband who died 3 years ago, i needed to go back with my son for the memories, but all i got was stressed.
Was i the brunt of a joke or did they really think i had been handling explosives, it has to be one or the other.
I have also made up my mind not to fly to Sanford or even holiday in Orlando again.