JVC GZ-MC500 Review

• Video Quality

• Sound Quality

• Battery Life

ianux48's review of JVC GZ-MC500

JVC GZ-MC500 - I wanted to upgrade my Sony pc6 and...”

Written on: 12/07/2005 by ianux48 (6 reviews written)

Excellent image quality, very compact, pocket sized, and VERY desirable from a boy's toys point of view.

Poor battery life of 35-45 min (additional battery cost £60). Expensive, not really 5 mega pixels, mpeg files in MOD format NOT supported by most pc editing software packages.

General Comments
JVC GZ-MC500 - I wanted to upgrade my Sony pc6 and shortlisted this and the Sony HC90. Although much more expensive, I was drawn to the small dimensions and sexy looks. The movie image quality is generally superb but the camera does not perform particlarly well in low light. Still images do look good at first but are not true 5 megapixel images, they are imterpolated and may produce a 5mp image size, but a £150 5mp digital camera will walk all over them. The biggest problem is the mpeg format, unfortunatly JVC have chosen to use the MOD format which is not supported by any of the common pc editing sofware, so you need to recode the files before you can edit using thes packages. The enclosed software does allow editing but I did not use this as I wanted to keep my return options open. The other thing you should know is that additional 4gb microdrives, which give 1 hour of video cost around £180, so you see this little baby cost a lot to run. 4GB CF cards are also available but you need to use the high speed type, which costs the same as a microdrive. Nice gadget, but I returned mine and got a refund (I will wait a little longer before I invest in converging technologies).

• Less than a Week