Honda CG125 Review

• Build quality

• Reliability

TOMLEECEE's review of Honda CG125

“You may have read my other review of the Honda CG125...”

Written on: 17/06/2005 by TOMLEECEE (121 reviews written)

Comfortable
Great fuel economy
Reliable engine

Brakes are a bit dodgy, even with new pads
Speedo display is a bit basic - no fuel gauge
Not very powerful

General Comments
You may have read my other review of the Honda CG125 on this site, but here I am reviewing my new acquisition - a 1998 model. My previous CG, an original Japanese 76 model was stolen in May '05 and due to my third party only insurance I was left with nothing but a hole in my pocket. However, after a few cutbacks on lifestyle, I was able to afford another bike (complete with full insurance!), and so I chose another CG. The older one was temperamental at the best of times, but that can be put down to age, although it was incredibly cheap to run due to the low fuel consumption. I decided on another CG because obviously the fuel consumption would remain the same, and because of the relatively recent age I though it would eliminate the problems I had with the old one. And I was right.

The 1998 CG125 is a dream to ride. The soft suspension soaks up bumps in the road with ease - much better than the older one. Also, it feels much bigger and this size increase all but eliminates the rider being blown around in blustery conditions. I can remember literally crapping myself riding my old CG in the wind - it took a great deal of concentration to keep the old bone shaker straight, especially when riding on open roads. That simply isn't the case with the newer model. Because of the weight, it feels much more solid - and safer. There is a trade off with speed due to the extra weight however.

The old machine could knock out about 80mph going down hill. Of course, that was really screwing it (and ducked down with the wind behind me), but the new CG will not do much more that 60mph. This is a bit of a disappointment, but I suspect Honda has put some kind of restriction on the engine since the old days to make it a bit safer (read: Boring). The acceleration is top notch, but the top speed will leave many people disappointed - especially when you consider that the CG looks like it should be a fast bike. The new design doesn't really look anything like the old one. Everything is just bigger, rounder and softer. A bit like going from Kate Moss to Roseanne.

The bike handles very well at low speeds and is easy to balance on when crawling along in heavy traffic and the gap isnt big enough to zip through. The indicators makes a reasurringly loud click when operating, and the speedo display glows with an ethereal pink at night, which doesnt sound like worth mentioning, but is actually quite calming! However, on the subject of the speedo display - there is still no fuel gauge! I suppose Honda thought that because the fuel lasts that long, you wouldnt need one...

What you have to consider though, is that the CG is designed to be a cheap and economical bike. It will get you to where you want to go. It will start in the rain, the snow, the freezing cold. It will go from Lands End to John O' Groats at 50mph and not even break into a sweat. You could drop it off a cliff and it would still go. The CG125 is not a looker, or a racing bike but it does what it sets out to do and does it impeccably. As a commuter it is unsurpassed, and again - the fuel economy is impossible.

If you need to get about and your budget cannot stretch to a car (like me!), the CG is the perfect solution. And at a fiver a week for petrol, it actually works out cheaper than the bus. Top marks to Honda just don't buy a 1976 model!

• 1998

Year Manufactured

• 1 month

Length of ownership

• Build quality

• Reliability

Yourdirector's Response to TOMLEECEE's Review

Written on: 04/04/2007

I just have to ask, doesn't it get annoying not having a side stand?