Yamaha AX396 Review

• Sound Quality

tploom's review of Yamaha AX396

“I was really surprised by the Yamaha AX-396, before...”

Written on: 27/05/2005 by tploom (1 review written)

It has the legendary Yamaha's TopArt technology (very few amplifers has these) Very good acoustic, natural sound, I would suggest it to anyone who is looking for a very nice natural acoustic sound (not for digital people).

I would say the CD/DVD direct amp, that might be good if you are using studio speakers, but if bigger ones, then its better to use the adjustments in bass and treble, specially the loudness, -10..-8 db will give good and smooth sound, -7...0 db will make it too loud for ears...
Depends on speakers.

General Comments
I was really surprised by the Yamaha AX-396, before this I had a Yamaha reciever and I got to say the differents was night & day....

The reciver uses complicated digital processing technology that enables to listen the music in 5 or 6.. channels but increases the sound distortion making the music or movie sound like electrical.

When I bought the AX-396 I compared it with the reciever and the difference was big. AX-396 was able to produce the sound with so much clarity & purity that the vocals and the harmony of the play could be felt in the room, like i was at the front row :)

With the AX-396, ex. listening instrumental sounds like Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton or John Mellencamp, it leaves very good rythm and treble was soft and clear.

The AX-396 can be used with the reciever also, (for the mains), but that depends on the listeners taste I think.

for speakers i would suggest Audes-speakers (jazz, blues, 037.1) - it has what they say "profeSsional sound".

If harmony & natural sound is important to you, then I would suggest Yamaha's amplifier: AX-396 or higher. (it has Total Harmonic distortion in CD/DVD: only 0,008%) - can you imagine that :)

• Sound Quality