Dickenson Bay, Rex Halcyon Cove Review

Helliebean's review of Dickenson Bay, Rex Halcyon Cove

“My husband and I have just had a 10 day Virgin Holiday...”

Written on: 05/04/2005 by Helliebean (1 review written)

Amazing location. Better even than Sandals who are further up the beach which is spotless.
Friendly and helpful staff
Room (Superior) bright airy and clean

Bathrooms - run down in need of updating
Water - slightly brown before it runs clear
General Decor - tired and in need of a face lift

General Comments
My husband and I have just had a 10 day Virgin Holiday at Rex Halcyon Cove. Being 27 weeks pregnant I was keen to be near the most facilities hence picking the busiest beach on the island, and so glad we did. In terms of 'busy' - yes there are few beach bars and a couple of hotels but by most resort standards it was quiet and laid back and the beach is truly stunning.

The hotel has prime position on the north end of the beach where the sand is white powder and the beach is quite deep and for this reason if nothing else, the hotel deserves a makeover. The rooms are spread around the gardens and as far as we could tell are of very varying standards but all in need of a facelift. We picked a superior room which had a good size balcony, room, TV and was kept clean to a fault but our bathroom was very tired with old plastic taps and water that never ran clear. Our cupboard doors were also falling off and our air conditioning unit was also pretty useless so we were supplied with an electric fan. On the day we checked out we were given another room which was much more grim - a standards I suspect, so I would avoid these.

I agree with the other reviewer about the food being random, but would definitely advise the all inclusive package as drinks and food are quite dear otherwise. In fact it turned out to be very good value with 3 meals a day, afternoon tea and unlimited beverages.

If you are going and you are unhappy with your room when you get there - ask to be moved. I saw so many people requesting moves that they must be used to it and are quick to accommodate you. But don't be put off - it's tired but fine and the beach is worth it.