Microsoft Xbox Review

• Graphics

• Range Of Games

SamusAran551's review of Microsoft Xbox

“Oh man, where do I start with the Microsoft Xbox?...”

Written on: 27/03/2005 by SamusAran551 (38 reviews written)

Ha!

Only a couple exclusive games that are good

General Comments
Oh man, where do I start with the Microsoft Xbox? Well, first off, the good stuff: The Xbox has some of the best graphics of all systems. Umm...yeah, that's about it. The quality of 95% of the games is rubbish. The gameplay sucks, and the ideas of the games are just plain stupid. Xbox has only one or two good exclusive games that make it worth buying. Halo 2 (Which really isn't that great anyway) and...well, I am sure of another...I was just giving Xbox the benefit of the doubt. And you cannot say Halo 1 because NEWS FLASH! If you wanted to, you can get it on your PC. So, what good games does it have? And only for itself? None. And no matter how good a machine may be, "you need to have good games to with it". Because the Xbox itself is pretty cool, the games are just horrible. If I were you, I would trade in my Xbox for a PS2 or a GameCube. (I traded my Xbox in for the Nintendo DS and I am very happy with it!!)

Note: Think of any good games and there is a very good chance its for the PS2, GameCube, and/or PC.

• 07/04

Date of Purchase (MM/YY)

• Graphics

• Range Of Games

Masdebater's Response to SamusAran551's Review

Written on: 31/03/2005

I must say that I strongly disagree. I own the Xbox and PS2, I also used to have a Gamecube but I hated the lack of third party support. The Xbox is awesome and Halo 2 is a great game (Halo for the computer sucks...way too much lag). I do agree about the lack of great exclusives, though jade empire comes out soon, but its exclusiveness is yet to be seen. All in all I like the Xbox a little more than the PS2.

Tomleecee's Response to SamusAran551's Review

Written on: 16/05/2005

Ha ha! Good point! No, I'd say high demand. The GC is nowhere over here. There are about 10 PS2 mags, 8 Xbox mags and 2 GC mags. There is virtually no advertising anywhere by Nintendo, some store chains dont even stock the GC. It was the same with the N64 - the UK distributor (THE Games) was a total joke. Looks like a re-run.

Written on: 13/05/2005

Is that space taken up because they are in high demand, or because they can't sell them?

Tomleecee's Response to SamusAran551's Review

Written on: 13/05/2005

You have a point about the prices of the GC/Xbox. In the UK (I'm presuming you live in the USA because of the Dollar signs), the GC retails at around £50 new and as low as £30 used. The Xbox on the other hand is still retailing for aroud £99. But as the saying goes - you get what you pay for. Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick regarding your comments Samus - I just presumed you were also in the UK - that's why some of your comments about the GC stunned me. Over here, the GC support from most retailers is pretty poor - its the PS2 and the Xbox that take up all of the space on the shelves.

Written on: 02/05/2005

And you can't even play DVDs on the Xbox without the DVD playback kit anyway, and it alone costs $30! so, for the price of $180, you can watch DVDs on your Xbox. And for the price of $130, you can watch DVDs on your new DVD player AND get better quality games on your GameCube. So really, by getting a GC, you save $50, and you get the same kind of features (save the music downloads on the Xbox). All that aside, who cares whether you can play DVDs on a VIDEO GAME system??? It is a gaming system. When I had my Xbox, I watched probably a total of 4-6 hours of DVDs. The rest was actual playing (which was usually on my GC because my Xbox games weren't cutting it).

Written on: 11/04/2005

Alright, lack of features. I'm going to assume (or use as an example) a money issue. Gamecube: 99.99 USD, XBOX & PS2: 150 USD. Now, for $50 more, you can get DVD capabilities on your XBOX. For $30, you can get a DVD player that works better than the XBOX, and the total cost of GCN plus DVD = $130. $20 less than PS2 and XBOX. Better features on two components, as opposed to 2 systems with numerous glitches...junky...riiiiight....

Written on: 11/04/2005

What is so junky about the GameCube? The graphics are comparable to the Xbox's, and 50X better than the PS2. The Cube's durability is a lot better than the PS2 and the Xbox, and there were way less problems with it. The Xbox was so glitchy! Mine froze up all the time, and I have a few friends that happened to them too. If you drop that hunk of junk on the floor from any distance, it has a very good chance of breaking. I work at a game store, and I get way more returns on Xbox's than ANY OTHER system.

Masdebater's Response to SamusAran551's Review

Written on: 11/04/2005

I used to love my gamecube more than any other console. Luigis mansion was awesome, Mario of course, I was never a big fan of Legend of Zelda or Metroid but the gamecube changed that. I still don't much care for Metroid but any game starring Link is guaranteed hit! But then the games dried up and I had to wait months for a game to release and my gamecube collected dust and it started not working so I cut my losses and traded it in. Granted the games for gamecube are going down as some of the best but I want more games.
<br>
<br>So far each system has shafted me and I've had to buy a new one except I never bought a second cube.

Dat's Response to SamusAran551's Review

Written on: 09/04/2005

GAMECUBE IS THE MOST JUNKIEST THING COMPARED TO AN XBOX. PS2 is alright but a Gamecube SUCKS badly and although Xbox may have some shoddy games it's features are WAY better than Gamecube and PS2. I think it is tight between PS2 and Xbox but a GAMECUBE? Gamecube is the most useless, cheesey, game system I ever seen in my whole life! HA!

Written on: 08/04/2005

Very well put, SamusAran551. The Gamecube is superior to the XBOX and PS2. For startes, the graphics and processing of the GCN are very close to that of the XBOX. Maybe not quite as powerful, but when you add in the flaws in processing on the XBOX, plus the lack thereof on the GCN, and the overall cost of the 2 systems, you will find that the Gamecube has a MUCH higher value. Nintendo puts a lot of work into the structual integrity of their systems, and will go to great lenghths to ensure the fewest flaws in the final product. I had a Game Boy with a technical problem, and Nintendo paid for the repairs AND the shipping. If it is the company's fault, Nintendo will correct it with no cost to the consumer.
<br>
<br>Althought the XBOX has the best graphics, it is an American made machine (which is rather shameful seeing as I am an American), but the Japanese companies generally make better quality products, and this is no exception. Nintendo may have fewer games that are targeted to older audiences, most of the best games out there are owned by Nintendo, and are ironically considered "kiddie games". Master Chief will NEVER meet the success of Mario, and Zelda games have enough to appeal to all audiences. The PS2 may have the most hit games, but the PERCENTAGE of hit games is actually very low. Xbox just doesn't have the successful exclusiveness because the games ONLY seem to target mature Americans. Nintendo may have the fewest games, but every game that is sent out has a higher quality than that of the previous two, and the percentage of high quality games is the highest - even though this fact may be overlooked by some.
<br>
<br>I'm not saying the Xbox is a COMPLETE waste of time, money, or development, but the value of the system is very low. I might like to play Halo/Halo 2 with a few frieds, but I don't have enough desire to spend 2-300 dollars for it.

Written on: 05/04/2005

The GameCube DOES NOT suck. The games are awesome. I can name a whole bunch of high quality exclusive games for the GameCube. Legend of Zelda: WindWaker, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, F-Zero GX, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 4, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Baiten Kaitos, Pikmin, Pikmin 2, and Mario Power Tennis. How many EXCLUSIVE and GOOD games can you name for the Xbox off the top of your head?

Dat's Response to SamusAran551's Review

Written on: 05/04/2005

I agree about the better games thing but Xbox is still better than PS2 and Gamecube because it has more frame rates than the PS2 and Gamecube and has a built in hard drive. Gamecube sucks badly. PS2 has better games but it can get broken fast.

Written on: 02/04/2005

Well, we are all entitled to our own opinions, and I still don't like the Xbox. To be honest though, it does have some extra features that makes it unique from the PS2 and GC. But, I will still stand by my opinion and say that good games is where it's at.