Recruitment Consultant Review

Recruitment Consultant
2.2

Jomo's review of Recruitment Consultant

“I did recruitment for six years and never have...”

written by Jomo on 02/02/2005

Making someones day by finding them the perfect job!
Financial rewards can be fantastic

You need to get used to people letting you down
The pressure is always there to meet targets

General Comments
I did recruitment for six years and never have regretted this part of my career. I learnt the role from scratch and conquered many ups and downs. This career path is only suited to those who have plenty of resilience and can bounce back again after disappointments. You need to have excellent people and listening skills to communicate well with both your clients and candidates (who, after all, are your bread and butter!). You also need to be extremely self-motivated to be able to go out there and win new business, which is a difficult part of the job. There are not many people out there who warm to sales calls from recruitment consultants! The key to a good career in recruitment is researching your employer well. I was fortunate enough to join a forward-thinking company who provided excellent support and training as well as lots of fun along the way - this last point being important as there are many long hours to be worked. I was able to take a sabbatical to simply recharge my batteries, which allowed me to come back a few months later feeling re-energised. A great career if you can find a really decent employer. There really is no need to be a graduate to do this job either as at the end of the day it is a sales job. Expect the unexpected.