Canon PowerShot A75 Review

• Image Quality

• Battery Life

glsammy's review of Canon PowerShot A75

“I bought my Canon PowerShot A75 to replace a much...”

Written on: 08/07/2004 by glsammy (2 reviews written)

Excellent Video quality, even at 320x240.
Good Battery life.

Auto mode doesn't always give good results.

General Comments
I bought my Canon PowerShot A75 to replace a much loved HP 618.

The Canon initially impressed, with excellent battery life and fast shutter performance. It was after downloading the pictures my main problem with this camera arose.

Many pictures appear flat and under saturated, especially floral images. Of course the camera offers many other modes and setting the Exposure to -1 or even -2, made matters a lot better.

Purple fringe is also a problem on more pictures than I expected.

On overall picture quality, I wouldn't rate it as good as my old HP 618, which was only a 2.1 megapixel. I have to make adjustments on too many pictures to make them look as I want.

• Battery Life

• 1 - 6 Months

Time Digital Camera Owned

• Image Quality

Alderny's Response to glsammy's Review

Written on: 18/05/2005

As the owner of one of these cameras, I cannot agree with the colour saturation problem mentioned in this review. If anything, the A75 produces images with slightly over saturated colours. Also, the image quality is very good for a 3.2MP model, although my wife’s 5.1MP Sony camera does produce slightly crisper images - a difference that is scarcely discernable on 6x4 prints.
<br>
<br>This model has a versatile range of settings. For example, I have been able to get some impressive results with long exposure times under low light conditions (tripod mounted) and the panoramic facility is excellent too. The A75 helps with taking panoramic shots and Canon include a good program to stitch the separate images together.
<br>
<br>The only two features I would criticise are the rather small LCD screen and the flimsy plastic CF card cover. However, I would recommend anyone thinking of purchasing this camera to consider the A85 and A95 models, which are basically the same but with higher resolutions.