Philips DTR1500 Review

Philips DTR1500
3.4

graeme0781's review of Philips DTR1500

“Was looking for a DVB Freeview box and after checking...”

written by graeme0781 on 01/06/2004

Best looking box on market.
Quick auto-install.
Fast channel change.
Clear menus.
16:9 broadcasts.
RF loopthrough.

No card slot (although if like me you think top-up-tv is guff, this ain't much of a problem).

General Comments
Was looking for a DVB Freeview box and after checking out prices on the internet saw this Philips DTR1500 for £68.00 inc. delivery!!! Bought it straight away from greatsaves.co.uk and although the price is now, at time of writing, £75.00 it's still cheaper than anything listed on kelkoo, pricerunner(or indeed this website).

Received it 2 days later, pleased to find batteries for remote were included, and plugged it in. In order to get record function working properly I needed 3 scart and 3 co-axil leads, you get 1 of each supplied and if you already use a scart with your tv and vcr all you should have to buy is 1 scart lead (£7 @ B&Q). This allows you to watch digital while taping terrestrial and vice -versa. Be warned though, this set-up requires both scarts on my tv, so if you have a dvd you'll need to compromise or use a different connection as I do with the dvd player.

Switched the box on and straight away it began to tune itself in, within 30secs all the available channels were there. Menus and controls are idiot-proof. Digital broadcasts are mainly in 16:9 format - no more stretched or squashed pictures or watching 4:3 on a widescreen tv.

Best of all standing vertically it really compliments my tv and dvd.

My review of how to use it is quite short because it really is very easy to work.

If you choose to buy it I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

• Between 1 - 4 Weeks

Time DVB Owned

Peterkn's Response to graeme0781's Review

Written on: 28/08/2004

I found the connecting-up between the VCR - Telly - Digibox a real pain. I seem to have it in such a way that everything works, but when recording a different channel to the one I'm watching, I'm never really sure if I'll get a recording or not.
<br>
<br>Apart from that, the picture is excellent, whereas before it was so-so at best.