Hyde & Rowe: Be warned! Worst letting agents

Alaina241's review of Hyde & Rowe - www.hydeandrowe.co.uk

“Hyde and Rowe: Be warned! Worst letting agents”

Written on: 14/04/2022 by Alaina241 (1 review written)

I have been a landlord with Hyde and Rowe Ltd, of South Croydon for several years. Over the last 2 years the rent due to me from them has increased to over GBP 5,000 (Dec 2021).

I have emailed, called, messaged and visited the office countless times since Dec 2021 to resolve this. Each time to be fobbed off and told they would look into the matter. I have even provided my own bank statement receipts to assist them with their accounts. The matter was escalated to the Regional Manager in Jan 2022 who after pursuing him constantly, made some head way.

On March 8th, 2022 I met with the Regional Manager to resolve the arrears and exit repairs for the termination of the contract. I was constantly promised payment which never arrived. We agreed a way forward with me absorbing some costs just to finish with them, and them agreeing to pay the arrears balances including the excess of having not been able to return the property to me as per the contract (termination date was Jan 5th, 2022 and as of April 8th, 2022 exit repairs had still not been made.) The Regional Manager was to put in writing the agreement.

I heard nothing from Hyde and Rowe until I visited their offices a month later on April 8th,2022. No emails, phone calls or messages were returned. On this visit I was informed by the Regional Manager that he was extracting himself from the situation and could/would not deal with the issue. He referred me to senior management. Who was senior management? The owner and himself? Dilemma: in the past he had always been the shield for the owner and had not let me have contact with her. All my emails also included her, to which she never responded. So how do I make contact with her? More annoyingly, he never since the March 8th, 2022 to April 8th replied to my calls or messages to notify me that he was not dealing with the matter. It took me to go into the office and face him for him to tell me.

I was promised that on April 12th, 2022 when the owner returned from holiday he would set up a meeting. Today is April 14th and still not a peep. I called today and got told that the owner is away and can’t be met. I am aware the owner is in the office tomorrow, but yet again been fobbed off.

Although the team is pleasant they have little to no decision making authority. I am told the only decision maker is the owner. Whenever trying to get a situation resolved you are blocked by her team and no contact is allowed with her. How then can a situation be solved?

The senior team has shown a severe lack of professionalism and non-existent trading standards. They do no responds to communications; do not keep to promises; give dubious excuses - its always someone else’ fault i.e. letting team, accounts, managers. Even the property upkeep was mismanaged and they would not take accountability.

This is the second round of rental arrears that has built up. My health is suffering due to the stress this business has caused just to clear the accounts and terminate a contract.

SAVE YOURSELF! DON’T USE THEM!

On the onset of the letting contract, they promised everything that a reputable business should, but trust me they are not. They try to rinse every penny out of you!

• Landlord