Postman's duty is from delivery officer to letter box only

britishconsumer's review of Royal Mail

“Postman's duty is from delivery officer to letter box only”

Written on: 29/01/2015 by britishconsumer (23 reviews written)

Unfortunately we live in a residential area plagued with kids constantly ringing door/gate bells and running away. Therefore we have a notice outside beside our letter box requesting deliveries that needs signing for to either ring/text us, both landline and mobile telephone numbers given and we always give a tip of approximately £3 for the phone call as well as their effort to call us. Sometimes the postperson peers over the fence to get out attention. We have lived here for 7 years and the above system had worked perfectly.

Recently somehow, there seems to be no effort by Royal Mail postperson to make human contact at all and all we get are the red cards requesting us to pick up our deliveries from the delivery office which is about 4 km away and involves a bus ride or exorbitant parking fee.

I rang up Royal Mail customer service and was told that the postperson was doing exactly what he/she is supposed to do which is to deliver items from the delivery office directly into postboxes only. I was the told that the previous postperson was going the "extra mile" in making contact with us but that is not a requirement for them to do so. Therefore there is nothing to complaint about!

I reiterate that their customer i.e us was happy with the service rendered by the previous service and not the robotic service rendered by the current postperson over the last month. Royal Mail customer service didn't seem bothered at that statement at all.

I stated that obviously if a customer is not happy, he will opt for another courier service which will affect Royal Mail eventually. Again, no show of concern from the Royal Mail customer service officer.

My call ended with a cheery "Have a nice day" from Royal Mail customer service.

Perhaps this current hype over the Royal Mail sale have given it a false sense of over worthiness, nonetheless, brutal market forces always nip and tuck the excess and over confident. Unless Royal Mail wakes up to the real world of customer service, the yellow brick road recently trodden by City Link will be on Royal Mail's satnav eventually.

Pherstun's Response to britishconsumer's Review

Written on: 04/05/2015

Really?? I'm not normally one to respond to something like this but I feel I have to. You have been getting an extraordinary service from your previous postperson then complain when the new person does their job? Do you know how little time they get to do each delivery - they have to hit targets unfortunately, that's the way of the world, and ringing you up when they have a parcel takes time. And the £3 you were giving the postie as a thanks - that's bribery!

Bastet2015's reply to Pherstun's Comment

Written on: 01/12/2015

Yeah I have to admit, as much as I do despite Royal Mail, and as bad as they are, you're really asking for and expecting far too much I'm afraid. It's unrealistic to expect them to do this. They're probably not even technically allowed a mobile phone on their person for fear of them texting/calling friends and wasting their shift time playing with their phones.