Aegon - Poor Customer Service

Guest's review of AEGON

“Aegon - Poor Customer Service”

Written on: 13/04/2018

I have had association with Aegon/Scottish Equitable for over 30 years. I recently withdrew an occupational pension as a lump sum. However they incorrectly taxed me causing me to pay more than £7k in tax too much. HMRC advised me that a small number of Pensions Companies fail to ask some key taxation questions.
I have spent several hours on the phone to Aegons Customer Service agents all who broadly demonstrate core inability to effectively stand in their customers shoes - even just for a moment !

Aegon Customer Service have a "Tomorrow" attitude and when "Tomorriw" comes the process starts again. I have had numerous promises of return calls from managers which never materialise.

Their head of customer services write to me saying that "yes" they could have asked basic personal taxation questions but concluded that the way that they did do it did not breach regulations. The non Customer Focussed attitude of the chap now leaves me with weeks and possibly months of trying to get this non inconsiderable amount of tax back from HMRC. Unfortunately HMRC only pay statutory interest when I could have had it invested somewhere doing a lot better.

My broad experience are that their investments are good but their Customer Services is disgraceful and contemptuous - Avoid !