Difficult to start; In-gear-no-start mechanism poor design++

Claymm221's review of Tohatsu 4-Stroke 6HP S/shaft

“Difficult to start; In-gear-no-start mechanism poor...”

Written on: 05/05/2020 by Claymm221 (1 review written)

We bought this Tohatsu 6 HP 4 stroke S/S in 2018 and it's a female dog to start. Sometimes it will start from cold with no choke (ambient temp about 18 C). Other times not at all without up to 20 pulls. Have tries all sorts of routines but there is no standard method that works. Usually starts fine when warm.

Then, there is the in-gear-no-start mechanism. When the supplier (in Martinique)tried to start it, this failed. We watched the engineer open the lid and tweak the mechanism. I should have walked away then (the engine was brand-new and on offer). We use rthe engine every couple of days (liveaboards) and the mechanism locks up about once a week. Last week I had to talk my wife through the tweak over the phone! The cam/detent rotates too far and the connectong rod from the gear lever is insufficiently stiff.

Also, when starting it frequently kicks ack hard on the starter cord - painful and my wife hates it.

Don't buy. I'd buy a 2 stroke next time. My 15 yrs old Mariner 2.5 is still going strong!