Not a bad little auxiliary (I hope!)

AndrewPoole's review of Mariner 3.5hp Four Stroke

“Not a bad little auxiliary (I hope!)”

Written on: 13/07/2018 by AndrewPoole (1 review written)

Bought my Marine 3.5 HP long-shaft new to replace a dead Yamaha 4.5. The purchase was painless with next day delivery. Big advantage over the Yammie - about 10 kg lighter!
Unpacked it, filled with oil (but, why doesn't the book point out that a small, graduated jug and/or a funnel is essential for this job; but, in fairness, this comment applies to all 4-stroke outboards I've come across), filled with fuel - again a funnel or jug is really useful here, filling from a can, even with a spout, is quite difficult.
Moment of truth: it started reasonably, but only "reasonably", easily after a few pulls. It is really important to have the forked end of the kill cord properly seated; as the stop/kill switch is flexibly mounted, it is not easy to locate the fork end properly.
Ran it again the next day for about half an hour. It started on the 3rd or 4th pull, having been run dry previously. But, this time the kill-cord was properly in! I ran it for 10 minutes in gear, and it seemed to put a fair amount of tension on the mooring warps, even at low throttle settings.
Overall; I reckon I've got a reasonable little engine for "get you home" purposes.
PS - Tip from my seller: modern standard petrol/gasoline tends to gum up carburettors, float chambers, etc., (even if the the fuel has been run dry), over a period of time. It's rarely an issue with road vehicles because they are used regularly; but it is an issue, especially on auxiliary outboards where they may remain unused for weeks at a time. I was recommended to use super unleaded to reduce this effect.