Avoid. Doesnt work. Company lost in court

From 1 review

Glenn01's review of Protect A Pet - www.protectapet.com

“Avoid. Doesnt work. Company lost in court”

Written on: 21/12/2017 by Glenn01 (2 reviews written)

Unfortunately our experience of both Protectapet, their products and their attitude is not a favourable one.

I could write pages and pages but to summarise, we bought the fence top product and after a period of attempting to secure trees we found our cat could escape by climbing directly over the brackets. At the time, Protectapet's marketing claimed that it was not possible for cats to escape in this manner. Ours did which rendered the system completely useless so we asked for a refund.

Protectapet refused to give us a refund so we put our video online. They then offered a refund on the condition we removed the video. Since so many people gave us feedback that our video had helped them to avoid wasting their money on a system they were confident their cat would also escape from, we did not remove it. Protectapet went back to refusing a refund and gave us no option but to pursue them in court.

Prior to this my wife received a threatening phone call and I received threatening emails from Protectapet saying they would have us 'dealt with' if we took them to court. They then attempted to sue us for £1000 to compensate their time trying to resolve the issue (£50 per hour was stated as their rate which I take to be largely aftersales service).

In court the judge ruled in our favour that;

Protectapet's system was proven not be fit for purpose.
Claims from Protectapet that it was my installation that led to the cat escaping was proven to be wrong.
That Protectapet cannot hide behind their terms and conditions.

Protectapet also admitted that in their opinion there are some cats that would escape from any system. This is the sort of information I think you need to know before you part with what can easily be hundreds if not thousands of pounds. Responses to our video, which has been shared numerous times (including the Cat Protection League) on Facebook indicates there are a lot of people who have had cats escape as well.

Prior to our victory in court, but immediately after we submitted our claim, Protectapet removed all the marketing that made claims that cats couldn't escape from their system. They claimed it was coincidence. I think that action speaks volumes.

I would be very wary of dealing with a threatening, court happy company. In my personal opinion there are better products and better attitudes our there. The changes in marketing really says it all.

My best advice is to watch our video and if you think your cat can climb as well as ours then it is, in my opinion, a waste of your time and what can be an awful lot of money.