Mechanic at Hendon ruined my new Bike

Guest's review of Evans Cycles www.evanscycles.com

“Mechanic at Hendon ruined my new Bike”

Written on: 17/08/2018

Bought a new Specialized Bike from Evans Hendon on condition that their "mechanic" would fit some accessories.
When I returned to purchase the Bike & have the accs. fitted, the Manager who agreed the deal was off on holiday. I was then told that it was not company policy to fit customer supplied accessories but the salesman would ask the "mechanic" nicely if he could do the work as he was "a bit funny" ie: difficult at times.
I waited 2 hours in the Shop to have a Rack fitted & Skewers changed. The "mechanic" finally appeared with the Bike declaring he could not fit the rear light to the Rack. Also the security Skewer bolts were too long so the finishing Caps could not be fitted.
I went back 2 days later to have the Skewer Bolts shortened & the Rack back plate drilled. The "mechanic" refused to cut down the Bolts and told me the Drill he had to use was "like a toy" and not really up to drilling thru the lights plate on the Rack.
We are talking about the most basic of mechanical tasks here. Cutting a threaded bolt & drilling thru 2mm of soft aluminium plate.
In the end the relief Manager agreed to cut the Skewer Bolts, which he did admirably. I also told him not to overtighten the Skewers as the "mechanic" did on the first fitting.
Upon returning home I tried to remove the Rack. Again the securing bolts had been overtightened & one bolt was so tight, the head sheared off leaving the rest of the bolt poking out of the Bike Frame.
I went back to the shop one last time & returned the Bike for a refund.
Consider...Evans employs a Bike Tech that overtightens bolts to breaking point, does not know how to cut a threaded bolt & can't drill thru thin alu plate.
Who wants after-sales service from a "mechanic" you wouldn't trust with a Baby's Pram?
Also the Manager who sold me the Bike overpromised on what his "mechanic" could deliver. I said 4 times the Rack would need some drilling.
I've since ordered direct online from another retailer & will use my local one-man-band Bike Shop for any tech help.

• Specialized Crosstrail Sport Cost £700