Its Meant to Operate like Argos

Duke_Nukem's review of Screwfix www.screwfix.co.uk

“Its Meant to Operate like Argos”

Written on: 24/03/2016 by Duke_Nukem (24 reviews written)

Most of the complaints here seem to be about delivery (I recommend a big car with a roof rack) and cheap Chinese tools. Also about lack of advice at the counter.

I have the opposite problem at the counter. Screwfix are obviously meant to operate like Argos, where people know and choose what they want and the staff simply shelf-pick it. In that way their prices are cheaper than anywhere else where I live and their stock much larger. My only alternatives are Travis Perkins (who are ashamed to show their prices up front) and a Homebase with a very small stock.

But I often find the Screwfix counter is at a standstill for ten minutes because of some old geezer waving a clapped out radio asking for "Something to repair this", or waving a corroded radiator valve asking for "A pipe to join this", or getting them to line up all their paints on the counter so he can choose a colour. The staff are *too* obliging, to a fault, all joining in - when I think I'd tell him to get lost or just go and pick something from the catalogue. I am an amateur myself, but I make sure I know what I want before I go in.

The other irritating thing (also against their own business model) is that when at the counter the staff try to sell you more stuff. I just ask for some pipe joints, and they ask me if I would not like some pipes as well : if I'd wanted pipes I'd have asked for them.

• Goods purchased & cost

Sleeves's Response to Duke_Nukem's Review

Written on: 30/05/2016

One thing this company is not and that's value for money. It must be one of the priciest outlets in the country. I have found this out recently. Please read my review. sleeves.