Titan battery power tools from Screwfix

chrismill's review of Screwfix www.screwfix.co.uk

“Titan battery power tools from Screwfix”

Written on: 17/11/2014 by chrismill (1 review written)

As a DiY enthusiast, I have a range of tools. The cheaper end of the scale are my Titan tools,in the main I have found them to be fine it they are mains powered and for occasional use. I purchased a battery powered drill which worked well for just under a year, then a battery would not hold any charge. This was followed a short time later by the other battery.
Unfortunately I reported the problem 2 weeks over the 1 year warranty and was told that Screwfix DO NOT SELL SPARE BATTERIES FOR VIRTUALLY ANY OF THE TITAN RANGE.
You cannot purchase titan batteries elsewhere (in fact, if I had reported the problem 2 weeks earlier, screwfix would have sent me a new drill and battery set). I looked into the cost of renovating the battery, but this was going to cost nearly as much as the original drill set. I've had to throw away a hardly used good drill, I have now purchased a Bosch, they sell spare batteries.

Annoyed65's Response to chrismill's Review

Written on: 06/01/2015

Titan have a 2 year warrenty - check the item you bought online it will show as an additional picture at the bottom.

Chrismillican's reply to Annoyed65's Comment

Written on: 06/01/2015

Thank you for your reply. But I had spoken/emailed several people at screwfix, who would not extend the 1 year, even by a week. Believe me, I tried

Annoyed65's reply to Chrismillican's Comment

Written on: 08/01/2015

What product did you buy ? do you have the product code ?

Annoyed65's reply to Annoyed65's Comment

Written on: 08/01/2015

Just to add both Titan and Erbauer are Screwfix own range and both have a 2 year warranty as standard.

Chrismillican's reply to Annoyed65's Comment

Written on: 08/01/2015

I was told by several Screwfix personnel including a manager who took on my complaint over the phone. That the guarantee was for one year only, I informed him that I was not happy and was going to inform others of the problems I had encountered.
I have now thrown away the receipt and battery drill, no I do not have the product code. The item has been replaced by a similar, newer model. I have now purchased a Bosh, I can buy spare parts for it and only paid about £40 more than a Titan. I hope this will last a lot longer than a Titan battery product

Duke_Nukem's Response to chrismill's Review

Written on: 24/03/2016

Inability to buy spares is a common problem with cheap Chinese stuff, not specific to Screwfix. It is the cheap Chinese business model - when it breaks you are supposed to go back and buy another. In the DiY world many people don't use their tools enough (or know enough about tools) to discover what rubbish they are. But their business model works as long as people are drawn to the lower price and don't complain. It's hard to complain to the maker anyway unless you can speak Chinese and don't mind the long distance call charge.