Inaccurate DNA results & appalling customer service

Guest's review of MyHeritage - www.myheritage.com

“Inaccurate DNA results and appalling customer service”

Written on: 17/07/2019

I took a test with MyHeritage. I was excited to get my results and puzzled at the ethnicity details but more puzzled at the completely new member of my "extended family" they purported to have found. I set out to research who this person was and having tracked her down and with her permission, plotted out both our family trees trying to work out how we may be connected. 6 month of research later and now MyHeritage has admitted I'm not actually related to her at all, and have refunded my test and membership. But they refuse to compensate me for the additional tests I had her family take with a third party company which is what exposed their results.

I put a review on another site and was contacted by a member of their "VIP" Customer service via a comment on the post. But emailing the address given just gets ignored. Others have complained of this happening to them too. A public show of "here's our VIP email address" but they don't ever reply to it.

There are plenty of DNA test companies out there, make sure you research HOW they come to their conclusions, how they categorise the results and which ones will allow you to upload your tests to their site for free. MyHeritage is not one of the good ones and I'd never wish what I have been through on my worst enemy. Their results made me query everything I know about my life and my family and wonder if I was adopted and my late father wasn't actually my father at all. Despicable.