Currys - Negligent sale of services

EmilyCurran76's review of Currys - www.currys.co.uk

“Currys - Negligent sale of services”

Written on: 04/06/2019 by EmilyCurran76 (1 review written)

I purchased an oven from Currys (online) and chose to add the following service for £15:

'Remove and recycle your old appliance
To save you the hassle, when we deliver we can take away and recycle your old appliance, along with any packaging your new one comes in. Just add Let’s recycle on the Basket page, charge applies.'

The bottom of my invoice also stated:
'What will be done for you?
We’ll unpack your product and dispose of the packaging for you.
Before we leave, we'll make sure you're happy with the work we have done.'
The delivery staff did take our old appliance, however they refused to take the packaging from the new one - as promised on Curry's website and confirmed on my invoice.
I thought Curry's would be keen to rectify this ... I was wrong. I phoned their Customer Service Helpline and was put on hold, then cut-off. Several emails later, Curry's promised to refund the £15 ... this never materialised. When I got back in touch to query this I was told:
'Removal of your new item is part of the installation service and looking into our system I can confirm that you only requested a Remove and recycle your old appliance and not the installation service.Our back office team have refused the refund of the £15 Remove and recycle your old appliance fee due to these grounds.'

This is clearly a case of misselling. Both their website and their invoices are evidence of this. When I got back in touch (again) I was told that they'd send a delivery team to collect the packaging - 20 days after they should have taken it. This is clearly not practical or acceptable - but they are still refusing to refund the £15.

PLEASE, if you value honest selling and good customer service, AVOID purchasing from Currys.

• Goods purchased & cost