RELIABLE FREE TRIAL BUT, AFTER, CONSISTENTLY UN-RELIABLE.

Noclouds's review of Tesco DVD Rental www.tescodvdrental.com

“RELIABLE FREE TRIAL BUT, AFTER, CONSISTENTLY UN-RELIABLE.”

Written on: 02/12/2011 by Noclouds (1 review written)

It's easy to get sucked in and then feel mislead. I wasn't mislead on their not working Saturdays like most DVD rental stores do, I just hadn't researched that and so wasn't able to anticipate delays in turnaround from that! No, where I feel completely mislead is that the free trial period was 100% reliable, punctual and predictable enough to make plans around, whereas after that period the reverse was almost always the case.

I work late afternoons to late night and, during the free trial, I would watch my allocated '2 DVDs at a time' as soon as they arrived, then post for the late afternoon postbox collection, on my way to work. If I posted Monday I would always have new DVDs on Wednesday, and so on. Totally reliable. l planned around it a bit. When the trial ended, the service became stressfully unpredictable. Where during the trial I would consistently get up to 4 DVDs a week, after the trial I would rarely get more than 2 DVDs a week and was told by their email support that their packages usually take a few days to arrive. As I pointed out to them, the postage is First Class and it was always next day during the free trial, which in my case was longer than the 30 days one. Anyone else who sends me post first class, it almost always gets to me next day, or a day later at the very latest. Our postal service is almost always predictable.

Also, be aware that a lot of big box office hits are not available - though they are listed on Tesco's rental site. I'm not sure you have any way of knowing that is the case until you join and see there is no rent button to click on next to the movie. Roughly a fifth of the big box office comedies that I wanted to rent weren't available. This is a problem with I Love Film who supply the movies, though, rather than a problem with Tesco themselves.

In conclusion, if you go for the two movies at a time deal and you don't mind only getting just two DVDs a week at unpredictable times, you might be fine with this. I was very disappointed by the extreme inconsistency after a seductively reliable trial period, but I am sticking with Tesco, meantime, because occasionally I like to rent foreign movies and they have a great selection. I have had the occasional problem with a faulty DVD but, in those instances at least, Tesco's email fault service was fairly decent.

Noclouds's Response to Noclouds's Review

Written on: 05/01/2012

I want to update my review a little. It helps to have 20 or more titles in your queue, I found, though not by much. The after-trial service turnaround is still infuriatingly slow but that briefly changed over Christmas period when it went back to the speed of the trial period, i.e send the discs back on a monday, they get them Tuesday and send them out the same day and you get them Wednesday. I was astonished, in that you would expect Christmas holidays to be a busy time for them with legitimate delay excuses, but I suppose they don't want people cancelling their subscription over the Christmas period but instead want to encourage new family members. After that, I'm back to normal! in this case querying why their system hasn't acknowledged receipt of the DVDs that I sent back on Monday (today is Thursday). It will be interesting to see if they register one DVD as lost and the other received, as both were returned in the same envelope. Ugh, I find this stressful where it was supposed to be for pleasure.