Appalling service

MC9999's review of ao.com

“Appalling service”

Written on: 27/10/2021 by MC9999 (1 review written)

I had appalling service from AO.com.

I ordered an electric cooker to replace a gas cooker. It was for my mother who lives in a 3rd floor flat without a lift in London. The reason I went with AO is because they clearly state that they can replace a gas cooker with an electric one when you order. I even called up after ordering online to clarify that they can do this and that they would be able to deliver to a 3rd floor flat. I was told that while an assessment needs to be done on the day by the delivery team, there should be no problem. My mother is unwell so I had to travel to hers to receive the delivery, hence why I needed to make sure the delivery would be smooth.

1st attempt

The delivery team didn’t fancy it. I got a call from AO to say that the delivery team didn’t think it was safe to deliver up the stairs. But they would reschedule the delivery in the hope that another team wouldn’t be so work shy. To put into context, the flat has appliances as do all the hundreds of flats in my mum’s estate and all the flats in London and the UK that do not have a lift. They must have been delivered somehow. Currys had just delivered a washing machine a couple of days before with no issue. So this delivery team that works delivering appliances in London with its many flats without lifts just couldn’t be bothered this time. AO apologised to me, saying this was rare but they couldn’t force the team to do it. While I wasn’t happy, I accepted the reschedule only because AO seemed to be the only firm that said they could deliver up stairs and replace gas with electric.

2nd attempt

I called AO in advance again to make sure there would be no issue. The representative clarified that there wouldn’t be a problem disconnecting a gas cooker and replacing it with electric. He clarified that they can do stairs without a lift, subject to review on the day. On the day of the delivery, the delivery team called on route. He asked if there was a lift. I said no (so he didn’t get my note then). He then queried what my existing cooker was. I said gas. He said he wasn’t a gas safe engineer so couldn’t disconnect it. SO WHY DID THEY SEND HIM!!! he apologised and said there was no mention of a gas cooker on his instruction. When I spoke to someone from AO, they said there was no mention of a gas cooker on the delivery instructions. This despite the fact that when we order an installation and replacement, you are clearly asked what the existing connection is!

I cancelled my order with AO, they mucked me about twice. In the end I got an independent gas safe engineer to disconnect the existing gas cooker, then I ordered an electric cooker from Currys. They delivered up the stairs and took away the old gas cooker without issue.

I will never order from AO ever again.

• Goods purchased & cost