Like using a condom with a hole in.

Bastet2015's review of McAfee - www.mcafeestore.com

“Like using a condom with a hole in.”

Written on: 16/11/2015 by Bastet2015 (24 reviews written)

I got McAfee with my PC from Dell. I could pay extra in the total cost for 12, 24 or 36 months of 'protection'. I chose one year.

For the past few weeks I experienced various issues with my PC. Trusting McAfee, I assumed it was just the programs in question, or driver conflicts, because McAfee always reported that I had 0 security risks.

Every scan I did said I was clean. It said real time scanning was on, firewalls were on and the program was up to date.

I contacted the developer of a java 8 Early Access Steam game that wouldn't work and they said it sounded like my OS/a virus. I objected, saying it was their poorly made, unfinished game because McAfee said my machine was pristine.

I put way too much trust and faith in McAfee. How very naïve of me.

After reading various posts on various forums, I saw Malwarebytes was highly recommended, so I tried it for free.

Within 5 minutes the program had found not one, or two, but FIVE Trojans on my machine. Within 30 minutes they had been removed.

I rebooted my machine and all the of issues I'd been experiencing, including with the Steam EA Game, were gone.

I complained to McAfee and kept getting reps in India or somewhere. They didn't care at all. All they kept saying is I couldn't get a refund because my sub was expiring in a week. I'm sorry but it's not my fault your rubbish program said I was safe and that I trusted it. I'd have complained earlier if I'd have known that McAfee was incapable of finding and removing viruses that a FREE program managed within 30 minutes.

I'm asking Dell for a refund of the sub and I hope they bill McAfee or back bill them for it, they don't deserve money for that rubbish they advertise as the most comprehensive cover...yeah...because a free program did a better job. Dell gave me a refund of the 1 year sub I paid.

Also, what other users say is 100% true. You literally get spammed with renewal notifications and there's no box to 'not display this message again'. It's more than annoying.

Sucks, can't recommend at all. I'm sorry but I'm not paying £100+ a year (seriously didn't it used to be £60...not that it's even worth that?!) for a program that claims to be the most comprehensive protection but which allows your computer to get riddled with Trojans it can't even see...being beaten by a free program.

• Internet Security and Virus Protection