Electricks let the bike down

• Build quality

• Reliability

merryoldp's review of Triumph Bonneville 790

“Electricks let the bike down”

Written on: 02/04/2018 by merryoldp (1 review written)

Triumph Bonneville ss in matt black 790cc, Mine was a 2005 model, it was the worst bike I have ever bought! Owned for 10 years only did 10500 miles due to faults. I wish I had done more miles on mine when the warrantee was in force, I'm an old boy, who wanted to relive his lost youth. so a fair weather rider, at plod along pace. At 4000 2 years 5 months old, mine died with a reoccurring ignition fault and the dealer had gone bust by then. Triumph wouldn't honour the warrantee and so I had to learn about Triumph electrics myself. I threatened to take it to the factory with a big sign on telling everyone what a pile of doo doo it was and was told, the only people who will see it are workers and we all know about the Bonneville's faults. After 10 years of trouble every summer it broke, it hated the hot weather, killing a set of crank shaft pick up coils and ignition coils, Gill electronics are just a waste of cash, so after multiple ignition related faults, it eventually killed the igniter pack, and at £500 for a replacement I bought an after market one from a jet ski that I adapted to fit, and a PVL ignition coil, and after 6 crank shaft pick ups in 10 years I replaced that with a custom wound one from a west country coil winding company. Then when it was working I sold it and bought a HONDA 750cc that is reliable and a wonderful machine! It's a shame, I grew old trying to fix a busted Triumph and effectively wasted the last 10 years of my riding life.
DON'T BUY A TRIUMPH, THEY WILL IGNORE YOUR COMPLAINTS LEAVE YOU IN THE COLD AND JUST GIVE YOU CHEEK WHEN YOU RING THEM!

• 2005

Year Manufactured

• 10 years

Length of ownership

• Build quality

• Reliability

Laverdabru1116's Response to merryoldp's Review

Written on: 30/04/2018

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's had problems with a 'modern' Bloor Triumph. I bought a low mileage Sprint triple, & had all sorts of problems with it. Pick up coils & other electrical issues being the main ones, until it blew it guts at just on 30k miles. In 40 years of riding, the only bike that was as unreliable was one of the notorious 750 Combat Commando Norton's. Nowadays, I use a Honda Innova - & a '98 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R, which has given zero major problems in the many miles I've owned it.
Being an 'old school' biker, I stop to lend a hand - or offer use of my phone - to a broken down motorcyclist. Of the last 5, one had a Yam that had run out of fuel - the rest were on modern Triumphs with electrical problems.