I'm glad to have finally seen sense at last

• Build quality

• Reliability

TheChairmann's review of BMW K75 750

“I'm glad to have finally seen sense at last”

Written on: 10/02/2017 by TheChairmann (1 review written)

This is my 4th K75, I'm fortunate enough to have an understanding wife and the modest amount of cash necessary to indulge in old clunkers, and of the previous K75's owned two were full fairing models and one was a C model.
I've also experienced 5 K100's since the mid 80's and each time I've sold a previous K its always been with a little regret. Its been 18 months plus since the last K75 was sold with several bikes coming and going in between and when on the hunt for the next bike I find the smallest K is the first thing I go looking for. Perhaps I should mention I have other bikes from early Brits through to a Breva 1200 and having racked up a lot of miles doing both a 200ml round trip commute 3 days a week plus my pleasure riding I think I can voice a fair opinion. I've just turned 68, I also ride an XJ 900 Diversion combo, I still have my Yamaha TRX 850 I bought new in Feb 1996 plus I have a mid 1997 900 Thunderbird and now I have this 1993 K75S. I honestly believe, now that I own it, this version of the K75 is probably the best all-round bike I have ever owned and I would like to mention that what short comings they are reputed to have that get frequently mentioned, well they are more than made up by the package as a whole.
My K75s is totally standard other than the low seat option, heated grips and BMW panniers with small top box and its brilliant. At 5'8" compared to the other BM's, my Breva and the T Bird it almost feels light, on the road its turbine smooth, handles well and gives me a sense of complete control.
I hate the initial bite of the front brakes, the misting of instruments, the fact that if I hurry the gear changes it doesn't like it, it should really have 10% + more power with a 6th gear (but doesn't need it), the mirrors and it feels faster than it actually is.
I love the way it looks, the build quality, the way the fairing works, it never feels strained, its all day comfortable, how easy it is to put on the centre stand, I can get both feet flat on the ground, it makes me feel like i've achieved something simply by owning it and the fact that I don't care what the weathers doing I just want to get on and ride it, its relatively easy to maintain and ohh, I really like it.
In short I really, really, really like my other bikes but if my K75 is anything to go buy, these K75S are something special and I want a new one.
So go get one while you can, get used to it then appreciate it, after a lifetime of field bikes, dirt bikes, track days plus visits to Santa Pod, owning bikes that were flat out at 70 and bikes that were still pulling at 160 plus, discover what's taken me a lifetime of riding to finally find.

• 1993