HSBC MORTGAGE - JUST GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Disgruntledofpurley's review of HSBC Mortgage https://mortgages.hsbc.co.uk

“HSBC MORTGAGE - JUST GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!”

Written on: 03/05/2012 by Disgruntledofpurley (1 review written)

Chose HSBC because mortgage rate was good. I did the initial application online but had to take proof of ID and mortgage application into branch. Branch didn't know what the hell to do with the application! Eventually got a mortgage offer so we could proceed with our purchase. Telephone helpline were very confusing - gave me lots of telephone numbers for lots of services but didn't explain the mortgage process. At this point I had my first contact with Countrywide!!!!!
Was given details of my allocated solicitor whose first job was to take money from my account. Weeks later after nothing had happened another solicitor contacted me and took another £300. I thought this was a subcontracted solicitor but turns out Coutrywide had allocated me 2 solicitors who both took £300 off me! After complaining to Coutrywide they said they would get the money back for me. A few days later I noticed in my account only £270 had been returned. At this point I had also been waiting nearly 2 weeks to get my survey report. After contacting countrywide I was told I would have my report that afternoon. 30 minutes later a second person rang me telling me that I would't get my survey 'til the following week. At this point I made a formal complaint. The complaints team informed me that "Countrywide was growing too fast and couldn't cope with the volume of work!" It was a "victim of it's own success"
Following problems highlighted on the survey HSBC have informed me of a £15000 retention on my mortgage but not given me ay advice on what information they need to sort the survey issues out. I have been left to guess what information they need and got the help of a good structural engineer.
I have now sent all the engineering reports by post into HSBC (I had asked to deliver them by hand as I live near head office in Sheffield but I wasn't allowed!!!!).
I am posting this complaint on this site because HSBC online have a very complicated security process which I unfortunately answered a question wrong. I now have to go into branch again with my ID to reset some very complicated security questions before I can speak to anyone from customer complaints. In essence I can't even complain about not being able to make a complaint.
In summary - HSBC do not give you any support or advice during any part of your mortgage application or house purchase. Countrywide are at best poor and at worst incompetent. The only positive aspect of my experience is the solicitor who is acting on my behalf who is very good and does things when he says he will. He is the exception rather thahn the rule.
Don't use HSBC unless you are prepared for lots of stress and no help, advice or support.