21 years of loyalty gone in a flash - First Direct Review

Colewb218's review of First Direct Mortgages

“21 years of loyalty gone in a flash - First Direct Review”

Written on: 03/08/2016 by Colewb218 (1 review written)

up until now I've always been an advocate of FD, and have been a loyal customer since the early days despite many tempting offers from the competition. My salary has gradually increased during this time to over 6 figures, no debts, loans and an excellent credit rating, so Im bemused why I got turned down on a 40% ltv mortgage with no explanation at all. I can only say that the mortgage team are hopeless, disjointed and seem to think its acceptable to constantly book 1.5hr telephone calls when all you want is a quick review - you have 21 years of my financial history at your fingertips . To rub salt in the wound, they had pre-approved me which was the basis of finding and buying a house.

First Direct, I know you don't read these reviews which is a shame, you are an absolute shambles, a disgrace to what was a great product. As soon as I have a new mortgage in place I will be taking all my business away from you to someone who has a bit more common sense and hope this serves as a warning to others.

• Fixed rate

Written on: 27/09/2017

100% agree and we have had the very same experience

Rachel_Pierson's Comment

Written on: 29/11/2016

Count yourself lucky. I got approved, despite having a salary that is at least 50% lower than yours. That's when the problems started, as their conveyancer didn't have a clue, and First Direct didn't want to know about service problems with them. They didn't even look into my complaint, they just asked me to pay for my own lender. So, instead, I went to the competition, most of whom also have free legal at the moment.

First Direct offered to provide free "standard" legal. What I got instead was decidedly sub-standard. Specifically, their conveyancer (a company called "Your Conveyancer") had a term in their contract stating that if they got defrauded by some thord party, the borrower would be liable for the loss caused by their incompetence. When I complained about this to First Direct they said they were "happy with the service provided by their conveyancer" and refused to justify why they felt providing such a shoddy conveyancer represented responsilble lending.

So, I'm off too. 11 years down the pan.

Btw, you may find you got rejected because your salary was TOO HIGH. They know you'll pay it off quickly, and they therefore won't make as much interest out of you. Pathetic, but there it is.

Firstdirectreview's Comment

Written on: 29/11/2016

dissapointing to say the least, and clearly they don't monitor their reputation on sites like this to improve their service and retain their customers. Shame on you first direct, hope would be customers will read these reviews.

Rachel_Pierson's Comment

Written on: 29/11/2016

So, I'm off too. 11 years down the pan.