Frustrating experience with Barnard Marcus

Freddyh171's review of Sequence Homes (Barnard Marcus)

“Frustrating experience with Barnard Marcus”

Written on: 22/07/2015 by Freddyh171 (1 review written)

We've had a terrible experience with Barnard Marcus as tenants. First of all, they are very slow in responding to emails, and their staff are almost impossible to get hold of. The first time we've experienced that was when we were waiting for them to initiate our tenancy agreement.

Wherever I called the agency to speak to our tenancy co-ordinator, I was told she was busy and would call me back - which she never did. Sometimes when I called them, someone else picked up and when I said I'd like to speak to our tenancy co-ordinator, the person on the phone said 'Sure, hold on a second', then I heard some quiet conversation going on in the room while I was waiting on the phone, and the same person picked up again and said 'Unfortunately, she is busy and she will call you back' - which she never did. It seemed like she was not busy and was present in the room when I called, but just told the person on the phone to tell she's busy for us to leave them alone. She was (and still is) almost IMPOSSIBLE to get hold of. After numerous calls and attempts to get hold of our tenancy co-ordinator, she only called back once and it took a week (or even more?) to get hold of her.

The other problem we have with them is even worse, it is absolutely frustrating.

Our rent for the month is due on the 28th of every month. Last month we paid our rent for the month 12 days earlier because we were leaving the country for a holiday and wanted to pay in advance. After 28th we have received a letter from Barnard Marcus telling us we haven't paid our rent and threatening us to be legally responsible for that. We called them the next day and told we've paid already, and were ready to provide them with a statement from the bank that has this transaction. The person on the phone told us to write them an email about it, which we did, and the reply was - okay, your tenancy co-ordinator will look into it and will get back to you on this. The tenancy co-ordinator never called or replied to our email (I was not surprised - very typical for Barnard Marcus), and a few days later we've received another letter from Barnard Marcus that said: 'We regret that you haven't replied to our previous message about your rent being overdue. We have recommended to your Landlord to seek legal advise and recommend you to do so as well'.

The truth is that THEY did not reply to us, but not WE did not reply to them. They didn't even check thoroughly if our payment was made before sending us letters with threats. And they didn't check it even when they were explicitly asked for it in written form. This is especially frustrating because not only we've paid for the rent of course, but we've paid IN ADVANCE.

We are still dealing with the situation.

To summarise, I would not recommend anyone to deal with Barnard Marcus: it will spoil your mood, spoil your relationship with the landlord, and you will spend quite a few hours on the phone trying to reach them (with no positive outcome, as a rule).

This agency is very disorganized and unpleasant to deal with.

Aggiem77's Comment

Written on: 25/08/2015

I am in the very similar situation at the moment. They are bunch of lazy, uneducated creatures. Have you complained somewhere higher as I am looking in to this. There is procedure you have to go through. I am not going to give up until the person responsible for my 3 month stress is fired!