Beware Mobile Unlocked/mobileunlocked.com

Guest's review of Mobile Unlocked - www.mobileunlocked.com

“Beware Mobile Unlocked/mobileunlocked.com”

Written on: 29/09/2020

I paid £42 to unlock an iphone 8 that I owned after completing a 24 month contract with Vodafone. I'm loathed that I have to use a service like this, but Vodafone won't unlock the phone as it was purchased through mobilephones direct. Mobilephonesdirect claim that they are unable to unlock the phone, so I thought this would be my only option.

I submitted the IMEI along with payment, then received confirmation that the unlock process had begun. I then received an e-mail asking about the mobile number used against the IMEI code, I provided this instantly, only for a request for that e-mail to be retracted. I thought this was strange but carried on.

Anyway, several days passed, no change to the status of the unlock, I emailed customer service, a woman replied, was very pleasant said that she'd do everything she could to chase up the status.

Since there was no update, I e-mailed them again this morning, asking if there was any update. An e-mail arrived stating that the status of my order had been updated, I logged in only to find that the status of the unlock is set to 'Blocked'.

e-mailed the woman several times, asked them about this service, this is the reply that I received:-

"The unlock has been blocked by the carrier, it could be due to the number provided not matching the IMEI or other contract/payment status issues.

In normal cases like this we would have to refer to the terms and conditions that you agreed to at the point of purchase regarding blocked devices and a no refund option would be presented as we have incurred the full cost of the service with our suppliers.

However on this occasion while we aim to help our customers as much as we can, I’ve negotiated a 50% refund on your unlock fee or we can use the unlock fee against an alternative non blocked or non blacklisted device"

I used a free online IMEI checker, this showed the status of the phone to be :- Clean (I'm having to make the assumption that the free IMEI checkers are legitimate). I'd rather expose these lot than receive the 50% refund.

This is my experience, maybe I've been unlucky but be very wary.