Tesco Clubcard rewards an expensive mistake for us

• Quality of Incentives

ivMonroe40's review of Tesco Clubcard

“Tesco Clubcard rewards an expensive mistake for us”

Written on: 11/08/2021 by ivMonroe40 (1 review written)

I have shopped with Tesco for years. Between my partner and I we spend £170 per week on a family shop. I am now moving to another supermarket on the strength of this experience.
I had saved a lot of clubcard vouchers and decided to have a nice freebie treat at a local cinema.
The Gate Picturehouse in Notting Hill is a beautiful old cinema that deserves to be valued. Unfortunately, Picturehouse run it. Picturehouse are a Tesco Clubcard 'partner'. That means that when you collect points, you can use them to go to the cinema amongst other things. Great, right? Well, not so great. A very expensive mistake as it turned out.
I did manage to pay for my tickets using clubcard vouchers online.
Unfortunately I was delayed, so my family members tried to get snacks using the vouchers I gave them- £51 worth. Picturehouse scanned it and told them it was worth one popcorn. Unaware of how it worked they accepted this one popcorn, Picturehouse did this to void to full value. Then, on the phone on route, I told them it was worth much more than one popcorn, and they tried to use it again. Of course it was void because that is how they work- it must be used in one transaction. They had to pay for the drinks and snacks because they were already in glasses/cartons. It came to £46.
I was furious, but the movie had started and I could do nothing.
I tried to take it up with Tesco Clubcard next day. Tesco Clubcard informed me that we had used the voucher in one transaction, so it was void, end of story.
They acted like this was our mistake. It was deliberate on the part of the Gate staff who clearly did not want to part with snacks for any sort of discount.
They deliberately did not give us itemised receipts which Tesco also used against us somehow.
I am disgusted with them, and with Tesco for backing them up on it.
I won't go back to picturehosue. I am also changing where I shop. My £170 per week family shop no longer goes to Tesco.
Tesco Clubcard rewards system is a bad joke. When you use them to eat out the staff are sniffy. Once, some years ago, the food was so bad at a Bella Italia I couldn't eat it, and they have aways been great when I have gone in as a normal paying customer.
I always used to just use my vouchers on groceries but the 3x value seemed a good idea. Not so.

• Quality of Incentives