SLCC Independent Regulator, But Funded By Solicitors!

Guest's review of Scottish Legal Complaints Commission - www.scottishlegalcomplaints.com

“SLCC Independent Regulator, But Funded By Solicitors!”

Written on: 02/07/2014

Buying a home in Scotland I was quoted £750 by the solicitor to deal with this, (not allowed to use my own non Scottish solicitor). I sent the property funds to the solicitor to hold in a client account where I thought they were safe and protected.
It quickly became apparent the solicitor was poor, as she was unable to even read and understand site plans she had sent me, did not understand the septic tank had to be registered, and even told me to ignore the law!

Then I was told the fee quote would need to be adjusted, so I stopped all work and asked for my property purchase funds to be returned and I would go to another solicitor.

My funds were returned less nearly £7000.00! This was followed by an invoice.

I contacted the Police, then the Scottish Law society, who said they could not help, but passed me to make a complaint to the SLCC who I understood were the same as an ombudsman.

Over a year later they were still investigating, then eventually upheld my complaint and suggested compensation of £1500.00 be paid, this was rejected and sent to the next stage, where the suggested compensation was reduced to £1000.00! The fiasco is continuing and I am banging my head against a brick wall.

How can the SLCC be independent, they are funded by solicitors and accountable to no one, to take action you have to go to the High Courts and pay more solicitors to deal with it.

The SLCC needs to be accountable.

My advise is don't trust a solicitor in Scotland, and don't waste your time with the SLCC they clearly look after those who fund them. Not the public

Midas02's Comment

Written on: 10/07/2014

I was under the impression this was Great Britain. We all lived under the same law. I feel sorry for you and ashamed to say that you have been treated badly by the Scottish system. I hope you get your money back.
I'm Scottish by the way

Masteralan's Comment

Written on: 12/07/2014

Thank you so much, it is appreciated, I will keep on fighting, Trading Standards have been very helpful and upheld my complaint as well, but also say they cannot take any action. Seem like they should bring back a truly independent ombudsman.

Davidson666's Comment

Written on: 06/01/2020

I totally agree that this SLCC outfit needs to be outlawed and abolished but a change in the Scottish Government legislation which will take years. It is funded by a levy paid by the legal establishment as I will not call them legal professionals. The entire legal bodies in Scotland operate a cartel & cabal of corruption and the Scottish Government sit deaf, dumb, blind and not interested in the safety and protection of the Public. A National disgrace and Not In My Name.

Westerton's Comment

Written on: 02/04/2020

Many thanks, I will keep on fighting it, at every chance