Disappointing considering the reputation of Flymo

charlievictorbravo's review of Flymo Lawnraker Compact 340

“Disappointing considering the reputation of Flymo”

Written on: 19/11/2011 by charlievictorbravo (1 review written)

I bought my Flymo Lawnrake Compact 340 second hand and found it needed a new motor which I bought and installed.

I used it last year and after half an hour it stopped working. It had stripped the teeth from the drive belt and damaged the flange that keeps the belt on the drive pulley! I bought a new belt and drive pulley flange and installed them last week. I used the rake for a hour or so and it packed up - again the belt's teeth were stripped but this time the drive pulley (made of plastic) was also stripped.

I got in touch with Flymo (Husqvarna) - they won't speak to end users unless you used their 0845 number - and found they do not sell the drive pulley - a small 10p plastic component that fits on the end of the motor shaft and is easily installed. I would have to spend £23+ for a new motor, which included the plastic pulley. What a rip off and hardly environmental (a complete electric motor when all I need is a cheap plastic component)

Flymo (Husqvarna) has a DISGRACEFUL spares supply and pricing policy not to mention some pretty poor design of some of their components. How can a big company like Flymo risk its reputation with bad design and a dodgy spares policy - it does not make any sense! I would not recommend this product to anybody. I only gave it one star because there did not appear to be a facility to give it less. It truly is a heap of junk. It might work ok if you had no moss in your lawn and set the height so that the tines do not touch the grass.