Poor service & untrained design staff

KingGary's review of Wickes Kitchens

“Poor service and untrained design staff”

Written on: 29/11/2021 by KingGary (1 review written)

Well, where do I start…. I am a carpenter with over 26 years experience and I am a kitchen designer and installer with over 21 years experience. Please bear that in mind when I tell you my experience with Wickes…

It all started when my long term customer called me to install their £18,000 kitchen supplied and designed by Wickes. Firstly, the design was terrible, the designer placed the gas hob directly under an electrical appliance panel, which any electrician will tell you that moving a panel with 12 cables going into it on a dry lined wall is a very big job and my customer did not want to move any electrical points.

Secondly, the designer put a sink right next to the gas hob and the bowl underneath a 13amp double socket.

Of course, once I noticed this absolute amateur attempt of a design, I redesigned the kitchen for my customer, moving her sink and changing the base and wall units so that not only does the kitchen not impede any electrical installations but also flows with symmetry.

Going back to the store to advise the designer of the changes made and the reasons why, she was at first helpful and was happy to take returns and deliver replacement units in order for it to work. However, once I started to install the new kitchen it was clear that the designer has not sent nor ordered the right components for certain things to fit. She also failed to highlight the process on her design.

I advised my customer, she went to the store to see the designer and the designer told her that I am not fitting correctly (which is quite funny because I used to fit for Wickes and was used as their remedial specialist because I knew the product better than any other fitter in the southwest) and that I will need to know how to fit the kitchen before attempting to do so. My customer called me and told me this so I went to the store and spoke to the designer, who at this time was rude and dismissive, however after I gave her a little lesson on how Wickes kitchens go together and showed her on their own display the components that are not on the order, delivery or design, she went a little quiet.

She then decided (whilst licking her wounds) to tell my customer that she may not get a refund for the returns as it has passed the 30 day period and that it is not her issue. I therefore interjected to remind her of all the errors that she had made to ensure that the kitchen she supplied would not fit and therefore there would be a delay in getting the returns.

The designer obviously lost her temper after having her butt handed to her 3 times and told me that I am just the fitter and that she will sort it out with the customer as it is between Wickes and the customer not Wickes and the fitter. Good job I’m not slow, so I reminded her that her customer is also my customer and telling my customer that the kitchen doesn’t fit due to MY incompetence sort of makes it my issue too.

Anyway, moral of the story is, Wickes are incredibly useless, love to pass the buck and don’t like being owned by anyone who knows what they’re talking about. So be careful if you are easily led because you are their perfect prey!