Seems like I had a lucky escape

wwMcGraw141's review of Ikea Kitchens

“Seems like I had a lucky escape”

Written on: 22/05/2022 by wwMcGraw141 (1 review written)

My kitchen is quite small, with an awkward shape and has old tired fittings and features that could do with modernisation.

In order to do this, I went to IKEA as they offer many different options and ideas and a comprehensive planning tool.
Having opted for the £35 measuring appointment I promptly got on the planner and put down some ideas to take to the in person consultation (the first of many over a year) and got some very helpful suggestions by a competent chap.

After the changes made at this meeting the layout has stayed ostensibly the same, I have only varied the top cabinets because I can't find a configuration that I like. Went for another appointment to try and finalise details but there's no guarantee of getting the same person, which means there is no continuity, so ended up starting again and there was faffing trying to create an upstand.

Thoughts of kitchen renovation paused for a year due to other commitments, but recently resumed this, so went back to the planner, thrashed out a scheme for the top cabinets and booked an appointment. This appointment is the subject of this review as honestly, it makes my blood boil.

I went along prepared, having created good CAD plans of the kitchen to supplement my 3D views on the planner in an effort to help get my ideas across.

This particular consultant saw my previous ideas and plans, then took it upon themself to criticise and tear apart every single element of the kitchen design, offering unwanted opinions and judgements instead of making helpful suggestions to make improvements based on the tiny issues being raised, generally acting like it was their kitchen, their house and they had the right to spend my money to create their magnum opus dream kitchen. Their attitude was completely wrong, out of order and not productive.

As an aside, had I been aware it would be a design review, not a helpful consultation I would have come with a different mindset. The consultant even looked me up and down (including under the table) and commented on what I was wearing, I cannot understand why they thought I wanted an opinion on this and it's so unprofessional / inappropriate.

Basically this appointment turned me, an otherwise willing customer, into someone who will never buy a kitchen from IKEA and I think this should serve as a warning to anyone that the service might be incompetent, rude, patronising and pretty demeaning. It was extremely unpleasant, plus I have been told later that the butler sink they recommended would have caused my chosen worktop to 'blow out' due to damp, so the suggestions aren't exactly based on any technical or product knowledge. These people give real engineers a bad name in my opinion.

in conclusion, this overall experience was an utter joke, however, I am glad my kitchen plan didn't meet with the consultant's approval because based on the reviews of IKEA customer service post purchase it has saved me from many many problems. I also plan to boycott IKEA generally because I have gone off the idea of buying cheap hateful disposable junk that poses as furniture.