A new low for customer service

Fussyfellow's review of NatWest Online Banking - www.natwest.com

“A new low for customer service”

Written on: 24/08/2020 by Fussyfellow (9 reviews written)

Before writing my review I would like to say that after the lengthy and disappointing experience I am reviewing I was finally able to get hold of someone who was helpful and sorted out the mess NatWest had created.

I opened an executor's account recently following the death of my Father. After the usual delays probate was granted and the opening of the account was completed.

The estate funds were duly transferred to the exceutor's account.

On attempting to pay out the funds to the beneficiaries, the problems commenced. I was unable to transfer funds online, my request was simply rejected, so went to the bank branch to transfer the funds (obviously this involved travel costs, parking fees etc). The branch were unable to transfer the funds, despite my having previously given them a copy of probate, the will etc. The branch asked me to write a cheque, which I duly did, and handed it to them. The branch then, allegedly, made the necessary security checks. Four days later I received a text from the bank asking me to verify the cheque. It was from a private mobile number and there was no return number/code/weblink to do this, only that I was required to verify the cheque within 4 hours.

I attempted to telephone customer services. On the first two attempts I received a message telling me their number was unavailable. I then made it as far as a call queue only to get someone's personal answering machine (I can only assume their telephone banking staff are working from home - but would you want to leave your bank details on a random answering machine?). By this time I had almost lost the will to live as I was twenty minutes into being messed around and I had not yet managed to speak to a living person.

I rang yet again and entered the call queue, this time I was given an option for a call back, which I took. I was rung back in 8 minutes, which was the wait time that was also offered. Here's the thing, the person I spoke to was clearly not aware it was a call back and asked me for details a number of times, before I had to ask him to stop and confirm that has was actually from NatWest Bank (he'd rung me from a private number).. Eventually he was able to verify the cheque (although I was on hold for lengthy period whilst he had to contact someone else to find out how to do it).

OK, so this issue is now purportedly been sorted out, but this is something to consider, all the basic security steps one would expect were missing from the entire process. The answerphone issue is at best a breach of GDPR, in that asking a customer to leave details on a private answering machine could allow anyone to hear your details. That the person who sorted the problem out had clearly not come across a similar issue before raises serious questions about training (or lack thereof) and that an attempt to ask for verification being made from an apparent private mobile number is a total no-no when it comes to banking security.

So, all in all, I am sure you can clearly see that clothed within a security process is an utter disregard for security that process claims to protect.

The irony is that I was going to transfer to NatWest on the basis of the service I received when opening the executor's account, however I now realise that my existing bank is not as awful as I had previously believed, so NatWest I will not be transferring my current account to you.

• 0 - 6 Months