Hotel tired, food poor, nice staff!

merman's review of Hotel Tsokkos Beach

“Hotel tired, food poor, nice staff!”

Written on: 15/08/2013 by merman (2 reviews written)

Having previously stayed at and visited friends staying at sister hotels in the Tsokkos chain in Protaras, we had thought that the Tsokkos Protaras Hotel (Formerly the Tsokkos Beach Hotel) would be at least as good.
However we were disappointed, the room (223) was not up to the standard of those at the Odessa nor the Constantinous the Great, it all looked a bit tired and in need of a refurb, the bed had a foot missing so when you sat on the edge the bed dropped a couple of inches, and there were stains on one of the pillowcases, however both issues were quickly remedied once reported.
The headboard fixed to the wall was patently for a king or queen size bed, but the bed was neither.
We were only there for a week and didn't spend much time in the room, and frankly I'd rather get on with my holiday - I've come on holiday to get away from stress! I wasn't going to get wound up over minor problems, just wanting to enjoy our holiday!
Things we noticed but didn't complain about are listed below, which just reinforces the "tired" aspect of the hotel:
A toilet cistern which was excessively noisy when (worn out ballcock valve?)- we're talking a good 3 minutes of loud groaning whilst the last 10% filled up.
A TV with no English channels - not even news channels, with a remote that was for another TV - some of the buttons did something, but not what they were meant to!
No kettle/tea/coffee facilities in the room
Patio door onto balcony which didn't always latch closed which in turn disabled the air conditioning when it opened.....I learnt how to jiggle the catch to make it latch so it wasn't an issue.
Bathroom lighting dim (single 2 foot fluorescent over sink).....bath overflow fitting was displaced and mouldy - spotted by my wife when she took a bath instead of having a shower - we'd have reported it but it was the day before we left.
That is not to say the room was dirty, in fact the general standard of housekeeping was excellent, fresh towels and bed made every day, but I wonder if the cleaners could see much in the bathroom in such poor light?
Whilst the swimming pools were cleaned and water checked daily, and kept pristine, other areas needed attention, areas of granite cladding had come off by entrances (top pool area into games room), corners of steps had been broken, and there were glass topped coffee tables with chipped edges- not a good thing for with guests with toddlers!
Food was pretty repetitive and not as nice as at the sister hotels.
I'm not a fussy eater, I'm up for anything (well at least once)if I don't like something, I'll try something else till I find something I do, but there isn't much that I don't like.
There were a lot of Russian guests, I'm not sure if the menu choices reflected this, mostly it tended to be the traditional Greek/Italian meals with some pasta or rice, a potato dish, and loads of salad, vegetable choice was limited, often to one! (Carrots one night, Cauliflower the next)
The meat dishes were invariably in some sort of sauce, a common fault was that food was overly salty.
Many of the British guests were surprised that there were no chips (despite being listed on the menu every night), for some people an absolute must - especially those with fussy kids! Eventually the weight of complaints from British guests led to chips being made available in the children's area of the buffet, but the management's attempts to deflect these complaints by saying that there were problems in Cyprus with potatoes just made people more annoyed!
We took a look around the Odessa and the Constantinous the Great to see if they were in a similar state, thankfully they weren't, and we talked to British guests with small kids we met at both hotels, we were told chips were available every night!
The entertainments team were lovely, they worked really hard to try and make sure everyone enjoyed themselves.
He did his own spin on bingo (takes longer when you have to say the numbers in several languages!)but his enthusiasm and light hearted manner won him many fans, his fire show was spectacular!
The bar and waiting staff were lovely, from what I could tell, nearly all from eastern Europe, (Serbia, Croatia etc) they worked really hard, were polite and efficient, (even with those guests without any manners of their own), they all spoke pretty good English and would have a laugh with you (if there was time).
Overall not up the standard I've come expect from Tsokkos - problems were with the fabric of the building and furnishings, generally not with the staff....we won't return! (except to see if the lead guy is there next year to say hello!)