Rude & nasty owner totally ruined the holiday

GBfromDevizes's review of Petra, Ourania Studios

“Rude and nasty owner totally ruined the holiday”

Written on: 22/02/2013 by GBfromDevizes (1 review written)

We had read the reviews before booking and as they were fairly well balanced, we decided to come and stay at these apartments. The place itself was OK, rooms were probably the smallest I have ever stayed in outside of more basic domatia, into which was crammed two three foot single beds, a dressing table, a built in wardrobe, two bedside cabinets, a triple kitchen unit and rather peculiarly, seeing as there was no table in the room, two padded chairs which only served to get in the way of both bathroom and wardrobe doors.

Kitchen equipment was basic as expected, a motley collection of bowls ( but not a dish in sight), some pots and pans, a kettle, a two ring hob, a fridge, two each of pockmarked knives, forks and spoons and a bread knife ( but no breadboard). There is no safety box but air-conditioning is available at six Euros per night.

The bathroom was fine, shower, WC and washbasin. Towels were changed twice a week, usually on Saturdays and Wednesdays, and bedding once a week. Big plus was the huge balcony, equipped with two director-style chairs and a rusting iron table.

We alighted the transfer coach and walked up the pathway. No one appeared to be around but a kindly Brit told us he would fetch "Ourania" from the bar and restaurant. This he did and she turned up looking miserable that we had disturbed whatever she was doing. She said nothing, and beckoned us to follow her to the room.

After unpacking we noticed that the bathroom ( which received almost no natural light) bulb had blown, so when we next saw her we mentioned that there was no light. The following morning, her husband turned up, walked into the room, changed the bulb, and then informed us that as he had replaced the bulb four days ago, if it blew again, he would not replace it. I pointed out that we had only occupied the room since the previous evening but he wasn't bothered and barked that " people leave it on all night and the bulb blows".

Encounter number two was on the third day, after I had parked the rental car outside the apartment grounds on a quiet and little used side lane. He bustled up to me and demanded that I move the car, which was not causing an obstruction to anyone. I asked him why it was necessary to move it and all I got was a face full of his spittle as he shouted, "move, move, move!".

Encounter three was the following day when he knocked, didn't wait for a response, charged into the room and demanded that he remove the bedding. My wife was sat on the bed in her underwear, I was in a similar state of attire. She asked if he could come back in 5 minutes to which he replied, " NO, I need the sheets NOW!" and proceeded to tear them from both beds. Just for good measure, he then decided to start opening cupboard doors and actually started rifling through our stuff.

Final encounter was a couple of days later, we went to the onsite bar for a drink, asked for a couple of beers, handed over a ten Euro note, and had the change banged down on the bar so hard it rattled the glasses.

Potential visitors should also be aware that this is a working farm; there is no mention of this in the Thomas Cook brochures so be prepared for dogs barking all night, and tractors chugging past your balcony at any time from 6am onwards.

I don't know why the owner took such an instant dislike to us, all I can say is that if he speaks and treats all his guests like this, I'm surprised that no one has given him a smack around the face. He's arrogant, rude and belligerent and what was even more surprising is that the Thomas Cook reps were well aware of his reputation. Apparently, if you do all your eating and drinking at his bar and restaurant, he'll be your pal for life, if you don't, then look out.

TC's were not interested in our complaints after we returned home, despite me sending them chapter and verse about the treatment we received at the hands of the owner and the fact that nowhere in their brochure does it state that this is a working farm. They even told me that "I hadn't spoken to the rep in resort" which is incorrect. In fact, upon speaking to the rep one time, he told me that he knew very well what the owner was like and that he ( the rep) "had been sent here to sort him out" and that he( the rep) had told the owner on many occasions that "you can't speak or treat guests like this".

We will NEVER book with TC again, they sold us a mis-represented accommodation and are simply not intereted in anything we have to say.