Not a place for Australians

Australianmark's review of Byron Bay, Backpackers Inn on the Beach at Byron Bay

“Not a place for Australians”

Written on: 02/01/2018 by Australianmark (1 review written)

I travelled to Byron for a much needed break after recently being told by my doctor I was no longer able to continue running my business due to health reasons in which I was self employed for 13 years . After suffering from a very stressful and trying period this was suppose to be some time to just chill out and relax. Byron seemed like the perfect place!
I was happy with the facilities, rooms etc and also met many nice people at the Byron Bay Backpackers inn, the receptionists were also quite friendly.
The only problem I had was when the owner of the Backpackers inn yelled out to me when I was nearby in the car-park calling out to me as if I was a dog.
Owner: Hey mate, ''come here I want to have a chat with you''! Where are you from? I replied I had travelled from the mid-north coast of NSW.
Owner: ''Okay so you're Australian? Yes I said. Owner: This isn't really a home for Australians! How long have you been here? a couple of weeks now? Me: About a week and a half. Owner: Well okay this isn't a place for Australians mate it's just how I run my business. So when are you booked in til? Owner: There are plenty of hostels in Byron, Share the love around mate. This happened on remembrance day 2017. I have been lucky enough to travel around the Coast of Australia and i have stayed at hostels as they are affordable and I also enjoy meeting people from other countries, especially as I am half European. Unfortunately though, I have come across this attitude a number of times. It is somehow not acceptable to be travelling Australia if you are Australian unless you're a grey nomad! Maybe one day it will be trendy and acceptable.