Dulux paint ? - never again !

Dulux Weathershield
1.8

472Waddell's review of Dulux Weathershield

“Dulux paint ? - never again ! ”

written by 472Waddell on 26/04/2015

I've been buying Dulux paint for nearly 50 years, but after my recent experience with their Weathershield exterior paint, I will never buy their products again !
I purchased a can of Weathershield undercoat and a can of Weathershield exterior gloss to repaint my well prepared front door. After two coats of undercoat I applied two coats of the gloss following the instructions on the cans. The end result was a very thin matt finish with a sporadic white powdery bloom showing through. I rubbed the door down again and applied another undercoat and another top coat with the same aweful results!
I had a word with the paint department supervisor at B & Q who said he had had similar complaints recently, so he had taken it upon himself to ring Dulux for an explanation.
Dulux pointed out that they are now producing the Weathershield range as water based products, not solvent based as in the past - you can't mix the two up - we checked my tins, and yes, my undercoat was water based and the gloss was the old solvent based paint........ why Dulux had not notified B & Q of their change in their paints I shall never know, but the shelves in my local store have a right mixture of solvent based and water based Weathershield products which are not compatible when used together, and no warning notice advising customners of this fact.
Oh well, so I bought a can of water based satin finish top coat, rubbed down and undercoated the door again, then applied two top coats........ exactly the same results as before...... Absolute bloody disaster!

Acjenkins's Comment

Written on: 10/07/2015

Hello, Without knowing all the background, but as an experienced painter, This sounds rather like blooming, which can be caused by cold /damp air hitting the film before it has dried.