7y/o left hanging by her neck on the unattended tree climb

• Facilities

• Proximity to local amenities

• Proximity to local attractions

SamCoog's review of Center Parcs, Elveden Forest

“7y/o left hanging by her neck on the unattended tree climb”

Written on: 13/07/2021 by SamCoog (1 review written)

My wife and two children took part on the centreparcs tree tops climbing activity. My 7 year old daughter went second on the activity and I had to watch from a viewing platform while she was left unattended hanging by her neck choking momentarily by her helmet strap.

She went on the activity with her mum and older sister. All went well until the zip line part. There was no staff helping my family at this stage and was clearly understaffed. I filmed my family on part of this activity and looking back, it’s clear my family were left unattended as the only member of staff was with a different group.

Whether the rope being caught around the chin strap of the helmet was like it from the start - and had gone unchecked - or had somehow got caught during the activity, was unknown but a staff member checking would have noticed.

The main rope that fits through the Caribbina clip had got caught around her helmet strap on the zip line and she had to hold her body weight up with her arms which was some doing for a 7 year old and of course I did not notice at this time.

When she then went to grab the rope at the end of the zip line, she let go of the rope that she was holding herself up on and and her body weight dropped and she hung by her neck and throat and was choking and could NOT breathe to which I screamed for her help and fortunately the rope unsnagged and she fell down to the normal hanging height in the harness.

On hearing my shouting the staff had to get a ladder to help her down. This was so very upsetting for me, my wife, my family and of course most importantly my daughter. She has not been able to talk about her holiday since.

If she was much heavier or bigger this could have snapped her neck. It was so upsetting and her neck was bruised and marked straightaway.

The staff AFTER the event were helpful and offered her a toy. She was very upset and didn’t want any toys.

Since, centreparcs have offered £50 off a family trip if we rebook! The same money off they offer if you re-book

I paid over £2.000 for this weekend and my daughter is very scared of ever going back. This is not about money but to offer £50 off for such negligence is quite disrespectful and I ultimately want to somehow reverse my daughters fear and it would have been nice to leave centreparcs on a good note rather than such an upsetting one.

This activity, without the correct staffing should be closed with immediate effect to safeguard any other children or adults getting seriously hurt.

• Self Catering