Very, very poor service ruined this night for us.

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

andyn's review of Indian Ocean, Ashton Under Lyne

“Very, very poor service ruined this night for us.”

Written on: 31/07/2011 by andyn (1 review written)

Very, very poor service ruined this night for us.

First of all, the meal was booked for 7.30pm for 14 people and the restaurant rang up my girlfriend (whom birthday it was) a few days before and changed the order until 8.30pm.

We were not particularly happy with this anyhow, but let it go. We got there anyhow for around 8.20pm or so and were asked to wait in the bar area. It got to 8.45pm and my other half went to go and ask them was going on and she was told it would be 9.20pm before we get served, which was annoying.

It gets to 9.20pm and my other half goes back to find out off the manager who in a very, very rude tone told her in front of me and a friend that he did not tell her that and said it would be 9.30pm, in which his tone reduced my other half to tears, which nearly made us all walk out there and then.

Eventually we were seated at 9.45pm – over an hour and a quarter later, been told rudely off the waiting staff that the table before was running later. Pathetic, as they did not tell us that atall before.

A number of complaints were directed to the staff and we were offered a round of drinks as a sorry. Our food was ordered anyway at the same time as the drinks at 9.50pm. It took them half an hour to get the drinks to us and until 10.40pm for the food at a point when the restaurant was mostly empty.

I was that angry was three other members of our group and didn’t order any food, choosing to go to a chip shop afterwards. Out of the remaining 11 people, I know two people got cold rice, another dry chips and there was two dry and flaky nan breads on the side dishes, although I did hear most people were generally happy with their main meals (we were running way too late for starters, coffees, and ice cream etc).

I also heard from another table that one of the waiters were seen drinking people’s drinks before they were bought out to us.

I’d worked out that the meal was probably going to cost me around £25 to £30 a head because of the quality of the meal, prices etc but between the 14 which would be over £400 in total. Because of above, we spent £133. You work it out!

All in all, a poor night, one I certainly shall be not going to attend and as a matter of course, I would recommend all people who are considering to the Indian Ocean restaurant in Ashton-Under-Lyne not to bother.

• Indian

Food Type

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Suits all